permit for boiler replacement?

Old 11-20-08, 12:03 PM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
permit for boiler replacement?

I only ask because the 2 'major' companies i got estimates from put that they get permits and it was on their contract they sent me. (but it could just be general language)

But my word of mouth contractor (who actually DID the heat loss instead of just measuring the pipe like the other companies did) said he didnt think in my twp i needed one. I do trust the local guy vs the big wig companies as far as the install and proper sizing. But he just seems shocked i asked about permits. he didnt say no though, just that he didnt know.

I've been looking at the twp site today and i cannot find anything on boilers or furnaces. There are plumbing fees for things as mundane as garbage disposals and kitchen sinks (gee i guess should have gotten one on the disposal i put in). And i looked under house construction too. Just nothing there relative to boilers or heating.

I guess i could call from a work phone and ask But just wondering if normally you need a permit

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-08, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If they require permits for things like garbage disposals and sinks.....I'd lay big odd's they require it for boilers.

Permit office isn't the CIA, call them and ask....and don't let the local guy do it w/o a permit...thats kind of scary to me that he didn't know.

Old 11-20-08, 12:36 PM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
he lives in another twp but yes i agree he's close enough he should know.

called the twp and the normal person was there but looked in some file and said would that fall under mechanical and heating? i said yes. So it would be 54 bucks

Old 11-20-08, 05:15 PM
G
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
Getting a permit has some upsides. The inspector might know what he's doing and offer some good advice. Most of them try to be helpful and you can pick their brain.

And, if a permit is required, for a measly $54 it puts all contractors on a level playing field.

In these parts, at least, the permit is usually pulled by the contractor, who also pays the fee. Ultimately, of course, you will pay it.
Doug