Another boiler pressure question

Old 11-21-08, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another boiler pressure question

My boiler pressure gauge is usually around 15-20. For the past week it has been climbing to 30-35. I drain off some water to bring it down and it comes back up an hour later.
I checked the expansion tank air pressure with a tire gauge and it reads 25lbs. when the water pressure is reading 30-35.
When the boiler pressure is around 20 the tire gauge is reading 16 lbs.
The expansion tank, a Watts ET30 was replaced before last years heating season. When I check the tanks pressure using the gauge several drops of water comes out.
I am also running a pellet stove so this boiler providing a minimal amount of heat.
Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-08, 08:16 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you get water out of the schrader valve the diaphram must be compromised. You need another thank. What type of radiation do you have? What size boiler? Did you check the air charge before you water on the tank when it was replaced last time. Always check the air charge before adding water to the system on a new diaphram tank.

Old 11-23-08, 06:14 AM
the boiler is a TW-3, JOT 100w Peerless about 20 years old. My home is a ranch about 1700 square ft.with baseboard
I did check the air charge when I replaced it, it was around 15
thanks for the reply

Old 11-24-08, 11:09 PM
Man, they don't make stuff like they used to. My heating system had an #30 Amtrol expansion tank that was 25 years old when I changed it 2 years ago and wouldn't you know it the diaphram on the new tank (2 years old) is already shot!

Old 11-25-08, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by lightsout06810 View Post
Man, they don't make stuff like they used to. My heating system had an #30 Amtrol expansion tank that was 25 years old when I changed it 2 years ago and wouldn't you know it the diaphram on the new tank (2 years old) is already shot!
I think I have a problem with the watts feed valve water prressure regulator which might have contrbuted to the problem. I can't seem to get it to adjust.

Old 11-25-08, 06:42 PM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
The expansion tank I put in when I installed the heating system in my parent's house in 1973 lasted at least until I sold the house in 1997. They tore the house down a few years later so who knows how long it actually lasted.

Mrbizness1, you cannot check the air pressure in the expansion tank while it is connected to the heating system UNLESS you first drop the pressure in the system to zero. The fact that you are getting different readings on your tire gauge and the boiler gauge indicates that one, or both, of your gauges is reading incorrectly.

Look at the tag on the boiler's safety valve and see what its rating in psi is. Most residential boilers are limited to 30 psi and this figure will also be found on the boiler nameplate where it may be preceded by the letters MAWP for Maximum Allowable Working Pressure. If the safety valve is more than five years old it should be replaced. I would go ahead and replace the pressure gauge on the boiler at the same time.