Direct vent air intake roars

Old 11-23-08, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Direct vent air intake roars

We just had our new gas boiler installed last week. All is well so far with the exception of the loud sucking roaring sound that the PVC air intake makes when the boiler is running. Our neighbors are quite close, and I'm sure it will bother them, not to mention we can hear the sound in the second floor bedroom. Is there any muffler or baffle system to cut down on this noise?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-08, 01:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Loud intake

What is the make & model of the boiler? It is possible the intake is too small & the installation manual would tell us what size it should be.

Old 11-23-08, 05:23 PM
We have a Utica UB90-125 unit. The brochure calls for schedule 40 3" PVC which is what we have from the outside coming in for the first 4 feet, the it is reduced to 2" for the next 5 feet into the boiler. This seems correct according to the manual.

Old 11-23-08, 05:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pipe size

I downloaded & read the venting part of the installation manual. It seems, from what you've said, to be installed properly. Is this a new installation, a new problem on an existing installation, or an ongoing problem since new?

Old 11-23-08, 06:39 PM
This is a new installation just last week. I've read similar complaints on other threads and some manufacturers seem to have come up with a muffler system. Strange that Utica and others don't have some unit as standard equipment.

Old 11-23-08, 06:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Air Intake

As I read the instrutions, they want a minimum of 26 equivelent feet of pipe. It states the minimum as 6 feet of pipe AND 4 elbows. Each elbow has the same resistance as 5 feet of straight pipe. That may be the key. See page 13, paragraph 3 in the install manual here:
http://www.ecrinternational.com/secu...ument/1657.pdf

I suggest you contact Utica if the contractor can't figure it out or gives you any hassle.

Old 11-26-08, 04:17 PM
Thanks Grady! My installer says he knows of no solution, so I will contact the manufacturer.

Old 11-26-08, 04:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pipe length

Measure the length of straight pipe & count the number of 90 ells. For caculation purposes use 5 feet for each elbow then add the length of the pipe. You should come up with at least 26. If not, that could be the source of the problem. Be sure to quetion that point when talking to Utica.