Spin on Westwood oil filter

Old 11-23-08, 06:33 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spin on Westwood oil filter

This was discussed before, and I forgot the answer:

Can a spin on automotive oil filter replace the 10 micron spin on type used on the TigerLoop?

pete

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-08, 06:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Smile Pete

Good to hear from you again. Where ya been hidin'? To answer your question, I believe the Wix 33109 or NAPA 3109 will fit but I don't know if they are rated to 10 microns. I kind of doubt it since they are for diesel engines. Don't you have a pre-filter on that system? If not, install a cheap General ahead of the spin-on. It will pay for itself in a couple of years just in not having to replace the spin-on.

Old 11-23-08, 06:44 PM
R
Hi Grady

I was going to have my burner serviced, but I am wondering if the local company has the spin on filters. If they don't, I need a band aid since I think this one is on the way out.. I haven't had the time to get into doing the work myself, and this is a bad time of year to start the learning curve!

Been kicking around, the boiler has been running well, so no questions!

Pete

Old 11-23-08, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vac. Gauge

If you don't have one on there already, install a vaccuum gauge. That will tell you at a glance the condition of the filter.

You don't have to have a question to shoot me a PM or e-mail. OOPS, I guess that's a two way street. I'm as guilty as you.

Old 11-24-08, 10:39 AM
R
Grady-- there's a vacuum gauge on the TigerLoop, but I've never seen it budge. I am not sure if it is set up wrong, or if they sent the wrong gauge?? I would think I'd see some indication, even on a new filter??

Pete

Old 11-24-08, 03:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vac gauge

All depends on where the natural flow of oil is in relation to the filter. If the oil will flow by gravity (even siphon) thru the filter you probably won't see any vacuum until the filter starts to plug & create some.

To check the gauge, valve off the line upstream of the filter & start the burner. With the TigerLoop it will take a while before you start to see vacuum.

If you have a picture, I'll be glad to take a look.