Only one Zone Working - Burnham Boiler

Old 11-24-08, 07:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Only one Zone Working - Burnham Boiler

I am posting on behalf of my husband and let me just start off with both have no experience in this field whatsoever.

We just purchased a home in April of this year and the boiler runs on 2 zones. It is a Burnham Boiler with 2 Taco 571-2 valves. One of the zones is not working. I was told by a professional it is most likely the valve and only the header needs to be replaced not the entire valve? He told me it just twists off and a replacement can be purchased at local home improvement store.

Since we do not have the finances right now to have someone replace it, we have been researching on seeing if we could replace this ourselves. While tinkering, my husband noticed that when the valve is set on Auto and he twisted it to see if the head itself is removable, the boiler kicked on. Mind you he had no intentions of fully removing it while running or powered on for that matter, but he only twisted it to the left slightly when it kicked on. Being that we found this to be strange, we wanted to see if anyone can give us some input on how this valve doesn't work through the thermostat and only kicks on when you twist the head slightly. Is there a loose connection? Does the entire piece need to be replaced or only the head?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-08, 08:35 AM
i'm not a heating person either, but i have the same desire to save money as you do, so i screw around a lot with stuff.
for my two cents worth, you might look up the taco valve on the net to see how to replace the head. i have erie valves with replaceable heads and it is easy to switch them, but, ALWAYS turn off the power when you screw around with the system wiring. second, once you figure out how to replace the heads, why not switch them to see if the other zone fails and this one works. if it does you have the problem solved; if not, better look elsewhere.
finally, before you switch them, why not turn off the power and double check the cleaness and tightness of the wire connections that run the zones. if just slightly touching the head fired the system, it is possible there is a loose/corroded wire nut connection or some such. good luck, and always turn off the power before you touch the wires or heads. you might be standing in a puddle or touching a pipe when you get bit, and then any money you save goes to the funeral director.

Old 11-24-08, 10:19 AM
Here are the manufacturer instructions for replacement.

http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/Fil...ry/102-076.pdf

To ascertain whether the head is bad, you can follow these directions to simply switch heads from one zone to the other before buying a new one. If the problem follows the head, replace it.

Old 11-25-08, 06:44 PM
Thanks

Thank you for your assistance. The power head is bad.