hot water heater/boiler question ????

Old 11-24-08, 06:15 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hot water heater/boiler question ????

if we have baseboard heating system with oil heat,do we have a hot water heater or a just a furnace?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-08, 06:40 PM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
That depends. First off you have a boiler, a vessel that heats water, but if you are asking if the boiler heats your domestic hot water (shower & sinks). A picture would help us to determine this.

Old 11-24-08, 06:48 PM
T
we have an oil furnace. i guess the furnace heats our hot water and the baseboard heat?

Old 11-24-08, 07:03 PM
L
rbeck is correct, you have a boiler because you get your heat through hydronic baseboard radiators, not duct work. (Hydro-air systems being the exception) Furnaces heat air (Ductwork) but it seems the generic term for any appliance that supplies heat is a "Furnace." If your home doesn't have a separate water heater (Oil, gas, electric) then your boiler probably does provide your domestic hot water as well. Remember, Boiler=hot water, Furnace= hot air

Old 11-24-08, 07:16 PM
T
i always thiught a boiler heats your baseboard and a hot water heater heats your water/shower???

Old 11-24-08, 08:36 PM
L
" I always thiught a boiler heats your baseboard and a hot water heater heats your water/shower???"

If your home has a boiler AND a separate water heater then that would be correct but a boiler can also have a domestic hot water coil built into it and therefore you would get both heat and domestic hot water from the boiler. If you could post a pic of your boiler it would be easy to tell what you have.

Old 11-24-08, 09:32 PM
T
lightsout,
my friend has an oil furnace and the oil furnace regulates the heat and hot water. there is a pump on the furmce. he has baseboard heat. ever hear of this?it seems to be an all in one?

Old 11-25-08, 02:06 AM
L
Yes, it is very common to have a oil fired boiler that supplies both heat and hot water.

The part I was trying to explain is that when you refer to something generically as a "Furnace" people in the heating field think you are referring to a warm air furnace which supplies heat through ductwork and does not have the capability of providing domestic hot water. (Hot water out of the tap) With a warm air furnace you will need a separate water heater be it oil, gas or electric. When you use a "Boiler" it has the capability of supplying both heat and domestic hot water.

Old 11-25-08, 04:53 AM
T
lightsout,
in alot of the newer homes i see forced hot air units. does that mean they probably have a furnace for the forced hot air(heat) and a hot water heater for hot water?
also,is the central air system connected to the furnace or is that separate?

Old 11-25-08, 01:37 PM
T
in fact, was in a home today that was like that...

Old 11-25-08, 03:20 PM
L
Yes to both questions. It is quite common to see a many new homes with a warm air furnace because you can utilize the furnace blower and duct work to run central A/C. the A/C coil is mounted in the plenum above and the furnace and is connected by a line set to an outdoor condensing unit. Although you will need a separate water heater the central A/C aspect is one advantage that a warm air furnace has over a boiler.