Question Re: missing baseboard bleed valves

Old 11-25-08, 12:27 PM
G
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
Question Re: missing baseboard bleed valves

I've noticed a number of posts by people who say they can find no bleeder valves on their hot-water radiators or baseboard units.

Can this be correct, or is it often a matter of not knowing what to look for or where to look? I recently installed two new fin-tube baseboard units that came equipped with bleeders from the factory. And all my old cast-iron RC baseboards installed in the early 1950s have bleeders.

Just wondering.
Doug

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-08, 04:00 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most fin tubed baseboard does not come with bleeders. To put a venting device on baseboard the installer (Or You) can use a baseboard tee in place of an elbow on one side of the baseboard and the air vent screws into the top of the baseboard tee.

Old 11-25-08, 08:23 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
one side of the baseboard
and that side of the baseboard should be the downstream end, where the pipe turns to go down, back into the floor.

I'd be willing to bet that more systems do NOT have the bleeders than do ... anything to save a buck or two here and there ...

Old 11-25-08, 08:44 PM
L
It's funny that with baseboard heat most installers don't feel the need to install air bleeds on the rads but it seems that 25%of the posts in this forum pertain to a problem with the lack of heat or noisy heat and the homeowners inability to purge the air out of the system.

Old 11-26-08, 06:34 AM
O
When I first came here I too was surprised to find that a lot of hydronic systems didn't have air bleeds. Didn't make sense to me (and still doesn't).

But at the same time if the system is designed and piped for it they are not always needed. A power purge will fill the system. Then a proper air scoop with a non-bladder tank, or a auto vent with a bladder tank and we are good to go.

I'd still want my bleeders though...

Al.

Old 11-26-08, 03:18 PM
NJT
In general, you might be able to say that they aren't really needed... as long as the system is laid out reasonable well, there's no reason a simple purge wouldn't get enough of the air out ...

I think though that an initial filling of a new system ... or re-filling of a re-worked system ... ya might want some then.

But here, I don't think I've needed to use the manual bleeders on the baseboard runs in many years ... the two convectors though, on mono-flo tees... THOSE need the bleeds ... you can purge all ya want, and you'll never get the air outta them ...

Old 11-26-08, 04:11 PM
G
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
But here, I don't think I've needed to use the manual bleeders on the baseboard runs in many years ... the two convectors though, on mono-flo tees... THOSE need the bleeds ... you can purge all ya want, and you'll never get the air outta them ...
OK, thanks. My system with all the bleeders is a mono-flo system. It would be hopeless without them.
Doug

Old 11-26-08, 07:02 PM
L
Just curious, how well do those newer baseboard rads work compared to the older cast iron baseboards in your house? Usually mixing and matching cast iron baseboard and copper fin tubed heaters can lead to uneven heat in the house.

Old 11-27-08, 12:46 AM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
In my opinion, not using individual vent valves in favor of a "purge system" is nothing more than a cost-savings move. A "penny-wise and pound foolish" move when it comes to the homeowner.

Old 11-27-08, 01:49 AM
NJT
Originally Posted by lightsout06810 View Post
Just curious, how well do those newer baseboard rads work compared to the older cast iron baseboards in your house? Usually mixing and matching cast iron baseboard and copper fin tubed heaters can lead to uneven heat in the house.
Lights, I think that question was for me ?

The two convectors I mentioned are cabinet type units... not cast iron baseboard ... and they heat up pretty much the same as the fin-tube ... 2500 BTU in the bath, and 5000 BTU in the kitchen ... works fine with the exception that they are on the end of the circuit, and the water to them could be a little hotter ... otherwise OK ...