hot water boiler problems

Old 11-26-08, 06:31 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hot water boiler problems

in spring had an electric hot water system installed, turned off boiler during summer months. boiler back on recently and discovered 1 bedroom baseboard cold. (fellow who did water heater no longer available). local heating co. sent man who spent 6 hrs, emptied boiler twice. now previously cold baseboard ok, but the following (bedrooms) baseboard cold. said "if it didn't correct itself" call back. next step would be to tear down ceiling of my newly refinished basement and get to "valves" on pipes. I am frantic at this thought. "valves" haven't been touched in 40 yrs. and why would cold move from one radiator to another. small rancher with lv.rm., 3 bdrms. and l bath coming off boiler.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-08, 05:04 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Pictures of the piping around the boiler would help here ... you can set up a free account on Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and upload the pics there. Come back here and provide a link to the album.

Can't guess what the tech was thinking, but I'd guess that there was no reason to drain it the first time, let alone the second ... but without seeing the system, can't say that for sure.

Old 11-27-08, 12:55 AM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
next step would be to tear down ceiling of my newly refinished basement and get to "valves" on pipes.
Valves and electrical boxes should never be "buried" behind a ceiling or wall. You should have made provisions for access when installing the ceiling.

Or maybe they aren't valves since you wrote "valves" but are instead Monoflo tees. If the latter then there is nothing that needs service. Depending on how your system is piped and especially if it has Monoflo tees, it is quite possible that the air bubble was able to move from one baseboard to another.

Old 11-28-08, 04:52 AM
M
baseboard problems

to #1: i can try pics, but really suck at that procedure.

#2: you're right about "valves" didn't know the right term. Of course, that;'s what happened. the air pocket moved from on radiator to another. If that continued it would next move to the bathroom and then the living room. shiver and cold times would ensue.
I guess my next question would be: how do I find someone who knows these systems. I called 2 heat/cool co. and both s.managers said "of course we can fix it". this last bill was $600..cannot keep doing that! and i'm afraid of what will come next. A whole new furnace???

Old 11-28-08, 05:19 AM
F
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by mlbauer View Post
I called 2 heat/cool co. and both s.managers said "of course we can fix it". this last bill was $600..cannot keep doing that! and i'm afraid of what will come next. A whole new furnace???
Hold those contractors feet to those cold radiators. Tell them in no uncertain terms to fix it, they gave you a verbal guarantee and don't give them money till you are satisfied.

Now FURD seems to know about such things, but an idea that has worked for me to purge air and establish the siphon for water lines is to hook a garden hose and run water and your radiators should have bleed valves.

That is what this guy recommends also See Bleeding a baseboard hot water heating system
also see someone else in the same boat Hot Water Heat Boiler Troubles - Home Repair Forum - GardenWeb
and right here on DIY see http://forum.doityourself.com/boiler...air-pipes.html

Old 11-28-08, 05:33 AM
F
[edit: user posted a diagram of a STEAM HEAT distribution system which bears no relevance to the problems of a HOT WATER heat system]

Last edited by NJT; 11-28-08 at 05:47 AM. Reason: not relevant...
Old 11-28-08, 05:49 AM
X
Umm, that's a big picture of a 1-pipe steam system. Not relevant here.

Old 11-28-08, 06:11 AM
F
I was trying to provide a picture so that everyone can see. is woth a 1000 words. Sorry that was a steam picture but it showed the bleed valves placement. Here is a picture showing the fill valves and drain valve.

Old 11-29-08, 09:07 AM
M
baseboard problems

many thanks to you guys who gave advice. i have it all printed out for future techs. since i have a little electric heater for my bedroom, i will plan on fixing the boiler problems after xmas. "hold their feet to the fire" ?? that takes gumption and backbone...at 77, living alone, and not very gumptional, i doubt that would work for me. BUT i have several local sons i may call upon to help after jan. lst. i looked up the distributors for weill mcneil and found (wouldn't you know) that same h/c that i used for the not too good repair work. everyone else will be a guess. anywho, my undying thanks to you guys.