Replacement hot water coil question

Old 02-17-09, 03:55 PM
NJT
Precisely why I wanted to see pictures so we could give ya a 'play by play' of how to refill and purge the air.

You probably still have air in the boiler and the well that the aquastat is in may not even be in water...

Best strategy when refilling a boiler is to fill from the bottom up, with an air vent or drain valve ABOVE the boiler OPEN to allow the air to escape ahead of the water. When you get water out the purge valve, you know the boiler is full...

What happens when you carefully pull up on the relief valve lever? Air or water come out?

By the way, I would have also suggested that while you had the system drained/depressurized it would also be a most excellent time to check/adjust/service the expansion tank.

I am willing to be a Six of Sammy's that your pressure gauge is lying to you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-09, 04:18 PM
Sorry about not posting pictures. Sat on my digital camera last week. New one on order.

When I pull up on the relief valve, water comes out (fast). There's a little vent on top of the boiler (looks almost like the ones on car/bicycle tires) that water comes out when I press it. I did press on that little valve so that air could escape while I was filling the boiler. I'm pretty sure there's no more air

The flame did cycle off a few minutes ago at 180F, then the temp climbed 20 degrees after the flame went out, then it went back on again at 200F for 90 seconds, then shut off again. The thermostat upstairs is turned way down. Is this odd behavior? What's a proper temp range for the boiler to stay at?

I really want to get it working tonight, so I appreciate the help. If pictures will help a lot, I might be able to borrow a camera from a neighbor. Thanks.

Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
Precisely why I wanted to see pictures so we could give ya a 'play by play' of how to refill and purge the air.

You probably still have air in the boiler and the well that the aquastat is in may not even be in water...

Best strategy when refilling a boiler is to fill from the bottom up, with an air vent or drain valve ABOVE the boiler OPEN to allow the air to escape ahead of the water. When you get water out the purge valve, you know the boiler is full...

What happens when you carefully pull up on the relief valve lever? Air or water come out?

By the way, I would have also suggested that while you had the system drained/depressurized it would also be a most excellent time to check/adjust/service the expansion tank.

I am willing to be a Six of Sammy's that your pressure gauge is lying to you.

Old 02-17-09, 04:47 PM
Try turning the aquastat knobs fully to the left and back to the correct settings keeping the minimum of 20 degrees difference between the high and low temps. The knobs should give a slight resistence as you turn them.
Are you sure that another house member isn't using the hot water?

Old 02-17-09, 05:10 PM
NJT
First off, what ARE the current settings on your aquastat?

What's a proper temp range for the boiler to stay at?
Assuming you have a 'standard' triple aquastat, I would start with:

HIGH 180
LOW 150
DIFF 20

When a boiler fires up to high limit on a heat call, and the thermostat satisfies (and the water stops circulating), there's LOTS of heat trapped in the cast iron that will then migrate into the water... it's called 'heat soak' and may be part of what you are seeing...

There's a little vent on top of the boiler (looks almost like the ones on car/bicycle tires) that water comes out when I press it.
That an 'automatic float type air vent'... and it's doing what it should be doing. If there's a cap on it, leave that cap loose so air can escape during operation.

Sounds like you did get the air out... let's talk about the aquastat some... did you have to remove the wiring to change the coil? If so, are you sure you got it wired properly again? Are you sure that the temperature bulb is fully seated in the 'well' on the boiler?

Old 02-17-09, 05:14 PM
NJT
Oh yeah, about that pressure gauge...

When you drained the boiler, did it go to ZERO? or hang up at some number?

When you refilled to boiler, did the pressure level off at 12-15 PSI when cold, and run up to 20 only after it got hot?

Did it hit 20 at some lower temp, and then 'stick' there while the water continued to heat?

Old 02-17-09, 07:39 PM
NJ Trooper, thanks for suggesting the temperature bulb. I had already checked it, but only when I looked more closely did I see that it wasn't seated all the way in. Everything has been running perfectly for the past couple of hours. Man, was I glad to take a nice shower after having only a trickle of water for the past week, and then working on the furnace all day!

Oh, thanks also for telling me to leave the cap loose on the air vent. I had mistakenly tightened it.

This forum is awesome. We recently purchased our first home, so I will certainly be back. I'm looking forward to helping other members one day when I have a bit more DIY experience.

Beer 4U2

Old 10-16-10, 10:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hiya JustDoItMySelf

I know this is an old thread, but I am curious where did you buy the coil? Hope you still get emails from this web site!

Thanks

Old 10-17-10, 07:01 AM
NJT
I dunno if he's still around, but since yer on the island, you might wanna try Patriot Supply over in Plainview.

Patriot Supply - Industrial, Commercial & Residential HVAC Parts & Equipment

Old 10-17-10, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Hiya JustDoItMySelf

I know this is an old thread, but I am curious where did you buy the coil? Hope you still get emails from this web site!

Thanks
I bought mine at Blackman's plumbing supply, there are several of them on the island. They had the best price.