Adding zone to forced hot water

Old 11-28-08, 05:25 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding zone to forced hot water

Hello,

I have an older house with forced hot water baseboard heat. Furnace has been replaced a few years back. It's a largeish house, 2 story, one thermostat in the downstairs. If i set the thermostat for 68F, it maintains that downstairs fine, however upstairs becomes a sweltering 75+, unless i turn the thermostat down every night.

Is it possible to split an existing forced hot water system into a 2 zone system, adding a separate upstairs thermostat? If so, any idea of a ballpark figure for such a renovation? Will this even help the problem?

I can provide more details if needed.

Reddog176

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-08, 06:36 PM
X
Can it be done? Sure. The answer on cost is "it depends." On a bunch of things. More details, please.

What kind of heat emitters (fin-tube baseboard, radiators, etc.)?

How is the system piped? Describe or take pictures and host them at photobucket or similar site.

Old 11-28-08, 06:55 PM
R
I believe their finned baseboards, and pipe comes up from the basement, circles the downstairs rooms, follows the stairs upstairs, circles the upstairs, and has a return pipe back to the basement.

This is going from memory, I'm not at that house at the moment, will verify tomorrow.

Reddog176

Old 11-28-08, 07:58 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Yep, pics ... could be something as simple as a flow check valve that's in the wrong position... might take 5 seconds and zero $$$ to fix ...

Old 11-29-08, 04:59 AM
R
Ok, but not exactly sure what you want pics of.

Old 11-29-08, 05:07 AM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
I feel you might be missing a second riser and return somewhere so pictures would be nice. If the heat went around the first floor then up stairs from the same loop the second floor would not heat very well, not enough water temperature left.
Take pictures of the piping around the boiler.

Old 11-30-08, 04:42 PM
R
Yeah, you're definitely right. I got up there yesterday but it was getting later in the day and I didn't have a flashlight with me. Tried to trace out some of the pipes, but there's quite a mess of them between hot water heat, and hot water to the faucets. Will try to get either pictures or a diagram soon.

However, i can see that all the feed lines just split off one main pipe, and i couldn't find any check valves as NJ Trooper suggested I look for.

--
Reddog176