Boiler and t-stat help

Old 11-29-08, 04:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler and t-stat help

Hello All,
First off let me say that I am new to this forum.I found it by accident while searching for an answer to my problem/s.
Thanks for allowing me to join.

I have an oil fired boiler system with domestic hot water.I recently disconnected the domestic hot water from the boiler and went to an electric unit.Fuel oil was up to 4.00 a gallon!!

The thermostat that was hooked to the system was a chromotherm unit that is now obsolete.I replaced it with a
honeywell round unit figuring that it would be all I needed to run the heat system.

My problem is the boiler Still runs like its heating the domestic water. I have two transformers hooked to the thermostat wiring,one small and one large,no idea the voltage for either.

I disconnected both of the transformers from the thermostat wiring and NOW the boiler is cycling on every 15 minutes regardless of the thermostat setting.
My question is what needs to be done to get the boiler from cycling every 15 minutes.Do I need to hook one of the transformers back to the t-stat wiring?If so which one the large or the small??

I thank you all in advance for any and all qualified replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-08, 05:13 AM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
There is an aquastat which tells the boiler when to turn on and off to maintain the boiler temperature for hot water. Even though you have actually taken the hot water off the boiler and replaced the thermostat you never told the boiler you did this. There are two basic types of aquastats. One that maintains hot water in the boiler for a domestic hot water coil and one that is a high limit only. The latter will only run the boiler on a call for heat.
You have two options. Turn the low side temperature down on your existing control and set the diff setting all the way up or, replace the control with a cold start control. High limit only.

Old 11-29-08, 07:03 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Dan, the 'aquastat' is usually a gray box mounted on the boiler. Usually gray because usually Honeywell...

What model boiler ?

Old 11-30-08, 09:09 AM
The boiler is a series 8 from HB Smith
the controller is a honeywell

I took a few pictures and as soon as I can reload the drivers for the camera I will download and post the pictures to give you a better idea of my problem

thanks again

well,I'm not allowed to add attachments so phooey on that idea

Last edited by Fatboydan; 11-30-08 at 11:00 AM. Reason: added picture of controller
Old 11-30-08, 02:33 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Dan, if you want to upload pics, you have to put them on a photo hosting site, and link to them here... Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket is free ...

We don't really need the pics, the 'problem' is that the aquastat would need to be changed out ... pics can't hurt though.

Old 12-01-08, 03:50 AM
"You have two options. Turn the low side temperature down on your existing control and set the diff setting all the way up or,... Quote unquote from rbeck

now the boiler is cycling every 10 minutes and running like crazy... and not even maintaining a comfortable temp in the house

I'm going to talk to a HVAC professional today and see what he can tell me.... thanks fellas....guess I'll have to spend a few bucks to get this corrected..so much for trying to do it myself Beer 4U2