Baseboard pressure test

Old 11-29-08, 07:47 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboard pressure test

Whats the easiest way to pressure test my baseboard before I put it in. I'm installing copper to pex elbows on each unit and want to test my joints before I install the fins. also what kind of pressure should I test them at.

Thanks, John

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-08, 01:42 PM
G
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
I don't think there is a very easy way.

Using compressed air is unsafe - a fitting that comes loose can become a missile.

That leaves water. You'd have to rig up temporary fittings and plugs, and connect the baseboard unit to a 10-15 psi supply, possibly your existing hot-water heating system.

I think most people with reasonable confidence in their soldering skills would not pressure test a baseboard before it's installed - just checking it after it's installed.

While you're at it, it would be wise to install an air bleeder.
Doug

Old 11-29-08, 03:16 PM
J
I was just wondering. I figured if something was screwed up it would be easier to fix it now rather than have to drain, cut off the pex, re-sweat, etc.
Thanks.

Old 12-02-08, 03:29 PM
Y
I connected my supply and return lines to a shark bite T then stubbed out to my air valve stem. I filled the lines to about 30 psi. There were two zones that lost pressure (crappy workmanship). One I could hear, the other I had to use soapy water at the joints to find the leak. Worked slick.

Old 12-03-08, 05:46 AM
J
You should see what I came up with! I'll post pics when I get a chance. Pretty much a waste of money since I'm actually not that bad at sweating pipes, but kind of fun to try and figure out.