No Heat

Old 11-30-08, 02:31 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No Heat

I have a gas fired boiler that fires, pressure is between 12 and 15 psi cold, and the radiators have been bled. The circulator has power and seems to be working fine. The high limit switch shuts the boiler down at 180 degrees. The boiler gets hot but there does not seem be be any movement of that hot water throughout the system. Any HELP?

Old 11-30-08, 03:21 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Check for any valves that are closed but should be open ...

Do you feel ANY heat going up into the radiators ? or are they stone cold ?

Pics might help ... free account / Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket / upload there / provide link here ...

Old 11-30-08, 03:37 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Also - when you bled each radiator, did you bleed them until a stream of water came out?
Doug

Old 11-30-08, 08:24 PM
L
In BoilerPictures010.jpg there is a flow control valve pictured which is mounted on the heating supply line. (right before the pipe goes through the brick wall) Try turning the knob on top of this flow valve counter clockwise to manually open it, the seat may be sticking in the closed position which won't allow hot water to flow up to the rads. When working properly this flow control valve opens when the circulator kicks on so another thing to check is the circulator. You say it seems to be working properly but I see that you have a B&G 100 which has a coupling that connects the motor and the impeller so inspect the coupling to make sure it isn't broken. The coupling is mounted to 2 shafts inside the bearing assembly which on your circulator is between the motor and impeller housing. Inspect this coupling before you manually open the flow control valve. If the coupling is OK then try opening the flow control valve.

Old 11-30-08, 08:38 PM
NJT
manually opening and closing the valve may free up the sticking disc ... if that's the problem... just wanna add to return the valve to automatic when yer done ...

Old 12-01-08, 02:48 PM
B
Thumbs up

Hey guys, I contacted one of my customers that owns an industrial boiler installation and service business. He came over after work and immediately checked the flow valve and coupling on the circulator. You were right the flow valve was stuck in the closed position and the coupling was intact. I now have heat! We also went to each one of the rads to re-bleed. I just rechecked the sytem after 45 minutes of operation. The pressure is aprox 18 psi and the temp is 180. The house has come up to t-stat temp. The burner doesnt sound like it is on. Do you think that is part of the cycle or do you think the high limit switch shut it down? Dunno! I will try to recheck it later. Thanks for the great information you guys were on point!!

Old 12-01-08, 03:11 PM
NJT
Sounds like yer all set !

18 PSI at 180° is fine.

Yes, the burner probably went off on high limit a few times while the home was coming up to temperature. That's what will happen on a long heat call. The burner will bounce off the high limit.

Old 12-01-08, 06:26 PM
L
I'm glad everything worked out, your bill is in the mail. LOL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: