water supply pipe to boiler leaking

Old 11-30-08, 06:20 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water supply pipe to boiler leaking

The pipe that comes from the main supply has developed a leak(rusted) I manage to wrap a radiator hose around the pipe with clamps to stop the leak temporally. Now it is leaking again slightly, my question is can I cut out the section of pipe and replace it with another one using a sleeve at each end, threading the cut pipes and applying pipe sealer to all threads.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-08, 01:30 PM
G
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
Is the leaking pipe running from the city water supply to the boiler? Can you link us to a picture of the pipe and adjacent valves or fittings?

Ideally, there should be a union or two which will allow you to remove the leaking pipe without cutting. If not, then when you go to replace the leaking pipe, add a least one union.

Is the pipe galvanized?

When you refer to adding a "sleeve," I think you mean "coupling." But the way I'm visualizing the situation, you can maybe remove the leaking pipe by cutting and then unthreading the two stubs. But how are you going to thread in a replacement in the middle of a run of pipe? I think you will end of with one joint that can't be connected without a union.
Doug

Old 12-03-08, 03:21 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
leaking pipe

Okay, I guess that I can see if there is a union(will have to bust the wall though) but when you say unthread, do you mean when I get a die for the 3 inch pipe. If I cut out the leaking part, rethread the 2 ends, then put in the unions(one at each end) that should be good right.