Boiler Option for in Floor Hydronic Heat?

Old 12-02-08, 10:31 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler Option for in Floor Hydronic Heat?

In a hydronic floor heat system, what is the best way (opinion) to heat the water for the pex tubing, for my cituation as described.

The initial study of the building design recommends a 16800 BTU 85% efficient boiler ($2000 US). I am hearing about possibly a more efficient way using two 90% efficient 60 gal water heaters.

I have now received, after a review of the insulation package (from a Dealer) their recommendation for a 34 Gallon Polaris 100,000 BTU

Water heater (3750.00$ US)..

Can anyone make some suggestions ? I live in Northern Colorado USA.

Project description:

42 x 80 Pole style building, single level (metal siding + metal roof), 12 ft side walls

FLOOR: 1 1/2" "Blue board" foam insulation on top of pea gravel - 5" concrete slab w/ pex tubing on 12" centers - 3 zones (3750' of 1/2" tubing in approx 250' runs

INSULATION: Walls- R-26 -- Ceiling- R-38

Thanks! John

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-08, 12:18 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What's the heat load at design? Given the tube spacing, presumed temperature drop of the loops, and other characteristics of the heat distribution system, what is the output of the floor in btu/hr and thus the required supply temperature at design? How about at minimum load?

Answers to those questions should inform the choice of heating plant and control strategy.

Looks like you have very different proposals, one or none of which is based on a load calculation and consideration of the questions posed above:

168,000 btu/hr boiler
100,000 btu/hr hot water heater
xxx,xxx btu/hr paired water heaters

More info needed. Many ways to address the design and specification of the heating plant and controls.