Burner and control Question

Old 12-11-08, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burner and control Question

Is this the correct forum to ask a burner and control question for a oil fired boiler system?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-08, 10:04 AM
Yes.

Al.

P.S. placing message lengthening text here

Old 12-11-08, 11:03 AM
when replacing a Beckett oil pump is there any settings or adjustments needed other than factory?
2184404GU pump
TD oil fired boiler
Also same question for transformer
51771GU transformer
I recieved a quote from my "professional" for $234 for trans and $484 for pump
ordered both through my Grainger account for tomorrow delivery $122 and my "professional" needed 3 days to get it.
I know the pump has adjustable flow rate but dont know how that is achieved. I havenen't gotten into it yet but it looks fairly simple. Any suggestions and/or pointers?

Old 12-11-08, 12:20 PM
For the oil pump it will need to first be bled. The pressure then needs to be checked and possibly adjusted. Need a pressure gauge and fittings to do this. Also need to know what the proper pressure setting is for the burner/nozzle combination.

Physically adjusting the pump is easy, a flat bladed screwdriver is used to turn a screw. Which is accessed from the side of the pump.

For the transformer there are no real adjustments required. Although checking the spring to electrode contact and the igniter tips for proper adjustment is recommended.

Once this is all completed the burner should be checked for smoke, draft and so on to verify that it is operating properly.

Al.

Old 12-11-08, 01:46 PM
set up calls for 140 psi I found the pressure adjustment and bleeding is simple just how do I go about testing pressure?

Old 12-11-08, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by RobDelaney View Post
set up calls for 140 psi I found the pressure adjustment and bleeding is simple just how do I go about testing pressure?
Need to install a fitting into the pump pressure port and attach a gauge to it. Then fire up the burner and adjust the pressure to the proper value. Shut down the burner and remove gauge. Can then either swap out the fitting for the plug or use a cap on the fitting.

Note that while R&R'ing the fitting and/or gauge that it is best to shut off the oil line valve. Otherwise if the line & filter is clean the oil will _pour_ out while the pressure port is open.

Al.

Old 12-11-08, 05:58 PM
Is the pressure port below the nozzle port?
Or is it one of the 2 ports on the bottom?

Old 12-11-08, 06:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Pressure Port

The way I set pump pressure is to adapt a 300# pressure gauge to have a 3/16 male flare then simply screw it into the nozzle line.
There should be an instruction sheet in the box with the pump. It will show you which port to use if you choose to thread a gauge directly into the pump.

Old 12-11-08, 10:29 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
With that pump (which I believe is the "CleanCut" job) you can remove the bleeder screw and use the bleeder port to thread a gauge into. I use a 1/8" pipe nipple, with an adapter up to 1/4" into which I thread a 0-150 or 0-200 PSI gauge.

Using the nozzle port tells you a little bit more though ... that the solenoid is indeed opening. Bleeder port is a lot easier for a quickie pressure check though...

Old 12-12-08, 09:13 PM
Success!

Replaced pump and trans. and poof saved 500 bucks and only took 2 hours.
While I had it apart I cleaned the squirrel cage, shutter and air band.
Follow up questions...
I have a Tjerlund power venter on a Thermo Dynamics S-135 boiler with the Beckett AFG burner package Honeywell RU controller and the before mentioned parts.
Now the spec on the boiler reads shutter 10 airband 1,
with the power venter installed (not natural draft) should these values change?
Should there be some type of screening on the air band and/or shutter as to not suck in debris?
Also thx trooper and oldboiler for the info I went to Lowes got a 0-200# gauge, some high pressure fuel line (bleeder points to ground and not much clearance) and some fittings and fabbed up a nice pressure gauge. Adjusted pump to 140 on the bleed valve then dead headed the nozzle port to check solenoid operation (per instructions) and all worked beautiful.
Nice thing is I bought a quick connect for the fitting side of the gauge so I can change from 1/4 to 1/8 without taking it apart.