Burner keeps cycling on/off

Old 12-11-08, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burner keeps cycling on/off

I have recently purchased a foreclosed home and this is first heating season for me. I just received my first gas bill for heating and the price is extremely high. After receiving the bill it became apparent that my boiler may have some issues. I noticed that the burner keeps turning on and off within seconds and the room the boiler is in is extremely hot. I know enough to be dangerous about controls, so deduced that it is either my room thermostat or the aqua stat is the problem. I adjusted the room thermostat to a lower set point and still the problem remained. I then looked at my aqua stat, P/N L8148J. I readjusted the high limit set point to a lower setting (180) the boiler burner quit and did not restart until there was a call for heating. Once the call for heating was met, the boiler went back into the cycling problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-08, 05:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Burner cycling

The circulator is shutting off but the boiler stays hot with no call for heat? If I understand correctly, check the wiring & if it is OK, I have to suspect a bad aquastat.

Old 12-11-08, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would get it checked by a professional. If you don't have one, get a CO detector. High temperature in the room can mean poor air flow or a blockage in the chimney.