Blower- oil soaked

Old 12-13-08, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blower- oil soaked

I had just replaced my transformer and clean cut oil pump and the boiler was working great until I found a oil leak. The inside of the blower chamber is coated in oil. Could this be a malfunctioning solenoid valve (its new also) I wired everything exactly as it was and now this. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-08, 09:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Oil Leak

I presume you've checked all of the fittings to ensure they are tight & no flares are cracked?
If this is a two pipe system, did you install the by-pass plug per instructions?
Again if a two pipe, did you open the vavle in the return line before you started the burner?
Do you have either a delayed solenoid or an "oil valve" wire on the primary? One or the other is a must with a clean cut pump.

Old 12-13-08, 09:31 AM
Fittings are all tight. Single pipe. And yes It is a delay timer valve.
I dont understand the "wire on the primary part though"
The clean cut was direct replacement because the solenoid was stuck closed. Could this be now that it is stuck open?

Old 12-13-08, 09:34 AM
I wired everything just as it was prior. I guess double check that the solenoid is working? Deadhead the nozzle port again with the gauge?

Old 12-13-08, 09:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Solenoid

If you haven't done so already, take the fittings apart & check the flare face of the fittings as well as the flares themselves. Both should be smooth with no scratches, dings, etc.

You can dead head it but for what you want to know, it would be better to point the nozzle line into a container so you can watch the flow. Allow the burner to run thru a safety cycle with the line in the container (you will need close to a gallon container for a 45 second safety time). When the burner locks out, make sure the oil flow stops, restart the burner & make sure no oil flows until after the delay time on the solenoid.

Old 12-13-08, 10:08 AM
Fittings checked out. I am gonna do the nozzle test like you said..... also I just read something interesting. On the install instructions it says that the delay timer is for primaries without a delay feature but my Honeywell R7184U has pre and post purge do I need to adjust the delay time on the control or change the cordset back to the non delay. The plugs are different in the respect that one has (I believe) the timer on the end of the plug and the other dosen't?
Cordset Model 21887u

Old 12-13-08, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
R7184u

With that primary having a pre-purge, you should be using the non-delay cordset. The valve needs to be wired to the "valve" terminal on the primary. You can select whatever pre-purge time you want as long as there is a pre-purge (AKA "valve on delay").

Old 12-13-08, 10:37 AM
changed cordset lets see what happens.....

Old 12-13-08, 11:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cordset

I can't find the 21887u on Beckett's site but they list the 21881u as having the delay.

Old 12-13-08, 05:56 PM
its the little things

Okay so theres a flat sealing washer that goes on the nozzle port of the pump that I must have dropped upon disassembly to change fitting types from the old pump so no matter how hard I tightened it just wasnt sealing. I only found this leak when I took the pump back off to check all the fittings. It wasnt visible on the pump while in operation because the shutter opening is millimeters from this port therefore drawing in the oil and soaking the blower chamber and blast tube.
Am I the only one who has this type of luck?

Old 12-13-08, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bum Luck

No, I'm afraid you're not alone in the bum luck department.
I presume you found & installed the washer. Now all is well other than cleaning up the mess?
That's another reason I prefer Riello to Beckett. The air intake is on the opposite side of the burner so you'd have one heck of a job sucking in oil. I believe Beckett's newest burner, the NX, doesn't have an air intake like the 'A' series.

Old 12-14-08, 05:36 AM
ok so overnight and no leak but when the power vent finishes its post purge a little white smoke comes out of the shutter openings and continues until the boiler cools it was more during the leak now just a little. Am I burning off or (sizzling off) oil in the combustion chamber. there is no oil apparent in the blast tube or blower case and solenoid shuts off at the right time. No loud start ups just the white oil smelling smoke.

Old 12-14-08, 05:39 AM
how much is a Reillo burner package vs the Beckett? I found Beckett with a control for around $375

Old 12-14-08, 06:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
White Smoke

I suspect you are baking off an oil soaked gasket. At least for the time being, you might want to increase the power venter & primary post purge times.

I honestly don't know what kind of price you would pay for a Riello online. The biggest downsides to Riello are parts availability & cost. Beckett parts are available almost anywhere. No so with Riello.