Taco circulator pump running all the time

Old 12-13-08, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Taco circulator pump running all the time

I have noticed in the past that I would hear a humming noise when the pump would be on - now I hear the humming noise ALL the time, even when no heat is called to come up nor the hot water heater is going. I am concerned that there is a problem (and I am going to get a very large bill...) The heat seems to be working fine as does the hot water heater. What could be causing the pump to be humming all the time? Not sure if this is normal, but I know it had never made this noise consistantly in the past. I actually keep the house fairly cool and rarley have the heat kicking on during the day. The circulator is a TACO, I only have one and it is approx. 5-6 years old. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-08, 02:30 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
If your circulator runs all the time, there must be something wrong with the controls (relay, thermostat, etc.) that control the pump. Need to trouble shoot with a voltmeter. Without knowing anything about your system, it's difficult to say more.
Doug

Old 12-13-08, 03:04 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
If you follow the wire from the circulator, where does it go?

If it goes into a gray box, can you find the model # on that box? (usually inside the top cover ... loosen 1 screw, cover should slide off, good idea to turn power off to boiler... 120VAC present!)

Old 12-13-08, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
If you follow the wire from the circulator, where does it go?

If it goes into a gray box, can you find the model # on that box? (usually inside the top cover ... loosen 1 screw, cover should slide off, good idea to turn power off to boiler... 120VAC present!)
First, thank you for your prompt response! The wire (from the TACO Model 007) goes to a Honeywell Model R845A box which I guess houses the relay switch or thermostat? I am new to this and trying to learn about the system and what is wrong before I get someone to fix it. I am also concerned as to what can happen - does it just burn out? or is there a risk of fire? Thanks again!

Old 12-13-08, 05:01 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
That Honeywell device is a relay that uses 24V through the thermostat to switch 120V to the pump.

If you have an ac voltmeter and know how to use it safely, you can troubleshoot the problem. If you get 24V on the low voltage coil of the relay when no heat is called for, then presumably there is something wrong with the thermostat or 24-V wiring.

If you get 120V across the high-voltage contacts when there is zero volts across the 24-V coil, then the relay must be bad.

If none of this makes sense or is beyond your experience, call a service person. I doubt there is anything major wrong (cost wise).

Based on your description, I don't think the pump will burn out or that there is a risk of fire.
Doug

Old 12-13-08, 05:23 PM
Thank you so much Doug. I am going to relay all this information to my Dad who I am sure will be able to do the voltmeter test and narrow down the issue. Once we do that I can get someone in here to replace the part as I don't want to have my dear old Dad be bothered with that and I wouldn't even attempt something I am so unfamilar with. Thank you again.