Buffer tank install

Old 12-14-08, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Buffer tank install

Installing a new boiler and 2 zone bb sys. in my house with a near future indirect. Since I only have approx. 34k of heat load, excluding the indirect, it was suggested to use a buffer tank for max efficiency.
Could I just come off the boiler with the primary loop and a circ, T off for the Indirect with its own circ, and then hit the buffer tank? I would then have 2 zone circs on a manifold fed by a vsi circ come off the buffer tank. They would be joined with the returns via csts.
I could then have a mix sensor after the vsi circ, and a return sensor on the return manifold for the odr.
I have a very rough drawing if someone wanted to see it.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-08, 08:40 PM
Forgot to add, I would also have a bypass after the boiler circ but before the indirect T with a thermic bypass valve on the return side.

Old 12-15-08, 01:39 PM
Wow, no interest or comments about this type of system?

Old 12-15-08, 02:05 PM
Well knowing brand & size/model and buffer tank size would make a difference in my thoughts, what is it?

If the buffer tank is just sitting in the primary loop, then I would think one way, if the buffer tank was decoupling the primary/secondary loop, I would have other thoughts or input.

Yes the drawing would help

Old 12-15-08, 02:25 PM
Here goes with the drawing very rough but hopefully you can make out what I'm trying to accomplish.

Old 12-15-08, 02:35 PM
I tried everything to get it bigger and I'm stumped. If I have to take another pic I will. Its missing a lot of things I know but its just for concept.

Old 12-15-08, 02:43 PM
What type/efficiency/capacity is the boiler?
Size of insulated buffer?

Old 12-15-08, 02:48 PM
Most likely gonna go with the burnham mpo84(smallest possible) 87% effic. Oil is my only option so trying to set it up as efficiently as possible, indirect, odr, etc. Boiler buddy makes a 30 and 80 gal, prob go with the 30.

Old 12-15-08, 03:31 PM
Thats a nice boiler, 3-pass, scotch marine design. (same as Crown CT)

With that boiler, I would not install the buffer tank, just downsize input firing rate to lowest allowable, install the bypass that you have, which in this case would be considered a system bypass and control circulation rate through boiler with 3-speed pump and bypass.

Piping in drawing would need to be redone to incorporate primary/secondary, add checks for zones, indirect and mix circuit, and your on your way.

Old 12-15-08, 04:43 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I think the bottom pic is what john is describing ... only one zone shown for concept and clarity...

downsize input firing rate to lowest allowable,
I don't know that there's any downfiring to be done ... that's about as small as they get!

Old 12-15-08, 05:17 PM
A key piece of info is that the 2 zones combined are only approx 34k btu. Even the smallest boiler available to me is way over sized at 58k btu. Hence some knowledgeable guys suggesting the buffer.
While incorporating a indirect before the buffer, would that design work? Could I theoretically put a mix sensor on the supply side of the ch loop, a return sensor on the return side, and use the bypass circ as a vsi pump? Is there a easier, cheaper, better way to accomplish this?