Power Vent Keeps Running

Old 12-15-08, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Power Vent Keeps Running

I just installed a replacement power vent... Field Controls SWGII-5. It vents a Smith oil fired boiler. The one that I had died and I replaced it with the exact same model.

All runs fine, but the vent is not shutting off. It continues to run and run and run... As far as the controls go, nothing has changed. I'm a bit puzzled.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ben

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-08, 09:49 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Ben, did you also replace the control kit? or just the motor assy?

Old 12-16-08, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
Ben, did you also replace the control kit? or just the motor assy?
The motor stopped working last week. It was about 9 years old. I was going to get the motor rebuild kit, but the housing that the motor mounts to was badly rusted and falling apart. Essentially, I replaced everything that is outside. The controls on the inside are the same. I wired the new unit in exactly as the last one was.

If you scroll down the page below you will see the unit and controls that I have. It's the Ck-63 Control Kit.

FIELD CONTROLS, LLC - CONTRACTOR PRODUCTS SWG and POWER VENTING SYSTEMS

Old 12-16-08, 11:13 AM
power venter

Ben,

something's different in your wiring. the control kit ties the venter to the burner circuit so it shuts down when the burner is off (following a short post purge). I suggest you call John or Lynn at ***-***-****. They can help you troubleshoot your problem.

Last edited by NJT; 12-16-08 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by skipcarney View Post
Ben,

something's different in your wiring. the control kit ties the venter to the burner circuit so it shuts down when the burner is off (following a short post purge). I suggest you call John or Lynn at 800-742-8368. They can help you troubleshoot your problem.
All wiring is exactly the same.... white / black / green. It doesn't seem like I could have screwed that part up??

Thanks for the number... who are John and Lynn??

Old 12-16-08, 01:11 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Ben, I'm guessing John or Lynn may be the tech support folks at Field ... they may or may not talk to homeowner... Fields instruction sheet says words to the effect "MUST be installed by trained persons... " Hope you wrote the number down, cuz I'm gonna nuke it ...

If you've got the black wire from the motor connected to the M terminal ... then that's correct .

I'm gonna take a guess and say that when the motor went, it either 'welded' the contacts on the relay shut, or the 'post-purge' timer is damaged.

You might need a new control ...

Old 12-16-08, 01:34 PM
Ben, I'm guessing John or Lynn may be the tech support folks at Field ... they may or may not talk to homeowner... Fields instruction sheet says words to the effect "MUST be installed by trained persons... " Hope you wrote the number down, cuz I'm gonna nuke it ...

If you've got the black wire from the motor connected to the M terminal ... then that's correct .

I'm gonna take a guess and say that when the motor went, it either 'welded' the contacts on the relay shut, or the 'post-purge' timer is damaged.

Thanks.. I'll check all of the connections when I get home. I feel like I at least have something to look at / for now.

I'll report back later.

Ben

Old 12-16-08, 04:27 PM
Ben, I'm guessing John or Lynn I'm gonna take a guess and say that when the motor went, it either 'welded' the contacts on the relay shut, or the 'post-purge' timer is damaged.

Which relay should I be looking at? I see only one adjustment on the Post Purge timer. I haven't touched it.

All obvious relays look good and are functioning as they should.