weil mcclain boiler wont fire properly

Old 12-16-08, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
weil mcclain boiler wont fire properly

i have a weil mclain pd8 boiler, about 2 weeks ago it failed to work and would not fire. I turned the valve on the end of the gas valve to manual and it lit. I then turned it back to auto and it stayed lit and functioned properly since. I did it again after two weeks. I again moved the valve to manual but this time it wsould not stay lit when turned back to auto. I spent that evening cycling it this way to keep the house warm. well, one time i did not get back to it soon enough and it blowed off the overpressure valve with LOTS of steam. I shut it down and suffered through a cold night. Since then I determined that the pressure reducer wasn't functioning and the pop off valve was seeping, after replacing both of these and refilling and bleeding the system. It wont burn, I replaced the thermostat thinking maybe that was the problem and now sometimes the thermostat will start it and sometimes it won't. Seems like I will get on good cycle then it wont restart. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-08, 01:13 PM
Thermostat problems?

I have spent the last week "fixing" my boiler. I have been too busy to keep up with it. I finally had to make the time.
The problem now seems to be this: The burners fail to fire, I go to the basement and turn the knob on the gas valve to manual and they light. After a short while I turn the valve back to auto and they stay lit. ... they cycle on and off (as normal) until the call for heat is met. Then they shut down and when the next call for heat occurs it all starts over.
I have replaced the thermostat. Iam at a loss as what to check next. Help Please.

Old 12-17-08, 03:49 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Randy, was it safe to assume that both your questions refer to the same system? I merged them into one ...

Old 12-18-08, 08:06 PM
Its fixed

It was the thermocouple. How come the last part that you think it might be is the part that you should have checked first?