Advise required please - boiler cutting out

Old 12-26-08, 10:07 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advise required please - boiler cutting out

Hello everyone.

I need some advice please regards my gas central heating/hot water problem.

I have a Potterton 50e bolier which appears to be powering up fine but then cutting out after about 10 minutes or so.

As I said above the boiler itself powers up no problem but after aprox 10 minutes or so the heating part of the gas goes off leaving just the small pilot light on.

If I turn the bolier off and leave it for about 5 minutes and then turn it on again it will power up for a few minutes before again cutting out.

After cutting out it makes all the noises it would make if it had powered up i.e. it doesnt go quiet as if it was off. I have to look through the little window to see that the heating gas has gone off.

If I dont turn the boiler off it remains on pilot continuously and will not then power up properly until I turn it off for 5 minutes.

The rads get warm and we only get luke warm water via the taps.

If anyone can give me a clue to what might have happened I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-26-08, 11:05 AM
G
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I think that is a European model? The following thoughts would apply to a typical hot-water boiler set-up in the U.S., but maybe not where you are.

It would seem that the aquastat or other control is interrupting the 24-V to the terminals on the gas valve. If you have a voltmeter, and know how to use it, you can track down what is turning off the 24-V.

When the burner cuts off, will it eventially re-light when the water cools down? That would suggest that maybe the aquastat high limit is set too low?
Doug

Old 12-26-08, 11:48 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Doug.

You are right this is a European model - I live in the UK

And I dont have a voltmeter - if it is this thats causing the problem what might have caused the error to occur. The boiler has been in use for the past 12 years or more without any problems. And nothing has changed to the set up.

No - the burner does not relight. The pilot light remains on until I turn off the boiler for at least 5 minutes. Whatever is causing the problem then resets itself. Once the boiler ignites again,after I turn it back on, i will get another burst of full on gas heating for between 2 and 10 minutes depending on how long I have left the boiler off for. And then the gas shuts off leaving just the pilot on.

If I am patient and keep performing the off/on cycle I can get some mildly warm water for a shower and reasonably hot water for the rads.

I will be calling in an engineer to have a look at the boiler next week after the holidays but would like to have some idea of what might be wrong before he gives me his diagnosis (and bill !!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: