Very Loud Circulator

Old 12-27-08, 01:42 PM
Very Loud Circulator

Over the past week, I've noticed that the buzzing noise of our gas boiler circulator has gotten progressively louder. The boiler is in the basement, and when the thermostat calls for heat, you can hear the circulator kick on, even if you're on the second floor. I never noticed it this loud -- it was loud in the past, and when I asked a plumber about it, he said it was because the water was cool at first, but once the water warms up, the circulator's noise goes down as the hot water "lubricates" the circulator. But it's so loud now when the system kicks on, I'm wondering if something in the motor broke/stopped working, hence the louder motor buzzing noise. Can anyone help troubleshoot this problem? Many thanks in advance.

FWIW, it's a Taco 007-F5.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-08, 03:03 PM
NJT
Upvotes Received: 1
Yes, the pumps are water lubricated... but that's a lame sounding answer he gave ya right there...

You can get them pumps for under a hundred ... or a Grundfos 15-58 ... either one will work.

Without actually hearing it, a guess is all we can make. Those pumps are generally silent. You have to strain to hear them. I bet there's a 'pull tab' from a beer inside it ... (kinda kidding )

Old 12-27-08, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
Yes, the pumps are water lubricated... but that's a lame sounding answer he gave ya right there...

You can get them pumps for under a hundred ... or a Grundfos 15-58 ... either one will work.

Without actually hearing it, a guess is all we can make. Those pumps are generally silent. You have to strain to hear them. I bet there's a 'pull tab' from a beer inside it ... (kinda kidding )
Thanks for the feedback, Trooper.

If these pumps are generally "silent," then something most definitely is up -- we're certainly not straining to hear this one at all, especially in the living room directly above it.

Would the not-silent noise indicate that it's broken? We're new to the house, so I have no idea how old the circulator is, but the boiler was installed in 2001. Do these circulators have a shelf life? Is there any way to check it to see what the problem is? Thanks again!

Old 12-27-08, 03:21 PM
Is it installed correcty? Motor pointed up will do it every time. Low water pressure will also cause entrapped air and cavitation that is a killer also.

Old 12-27-08, 03:59 PM
ticking noising = COUPLING

Old 12-27-08, 04:01 PM
Upvotes Received: 5
Those Taco pumps only have one moving part: the impeller/cartridge assembly. The cartridge can be accessed by removing four hold-down screws, and sliding off the cover. Replacement cartidges are available - if inspection reveals that the old cartridge is damaged.

Accessing the cartridge (or replacing the pump) will require draining the system unless there are isolation valves on either side of the pump.

Here is a thought that might get you running without any significant downtime. Buy a new Taco pump and have it in your paws before breaking into the system. Then, if it's just a damaged cartridge, pull the cartridge out of the new pump, and install it in your old pump (without removing the pump). Then, buy a replacement cartridge, and put it in the new pump - you'll then have a spare pump, ready to go.

On the other hand, if you determine the old pump is completely shot, install the new pump.

These Taco pumps are a little noisy (but not like you describe!). They have 2-pole motors that run in excess of 3,000 rpm.

I had a 55-year-old Bell & Gossett Model HV pump that was whisper quiet. Those pumps have 4-pole motors, and run at about half the rpm of the Tacos.

I had a small Grundfos pump, and it was very quiet. Some of the Grundfos circulators have multiple speeds, which seems like a desirable feature.
Doug

Old 12-27-08, 04:05 PM
Upvotes Received: 5
Originally Posted by metx View Post
ticking noising = COUPLING
The Bell & Gossett circulators have a rather complicated coupling assembly between the motor and the pump. However, the Taco circulators are cartridge-type, wet-rotor pumps with no coupling.

The Tacos have nylon or plastic impellers. I could visualize a vane breaking off the impeller? Or, perhaps, some foreign object caught in the pump's volute?
Doug