Steam Boiler, indirect hot water heater and aquastats

Old 12-27-08, 02:16 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steam Boiler, indirect hot water heater and aquastats

I have a house with multiple dwellings. I have a peerless steam boiler with 3 seperate radiant zones. One is for my bock water heater. i just replaced the burner and realized the aquastat was bad and looking to replace with one with a digital readout. I have researched several ranco, Jonhson and hydrostat 3150.

In the summer it gets quite hot in the basement and apartment right above. In an attempt to save some oil consumtpion, is there a better water to setup the aquastat? Is there a model you recommend?

Old 12-27-08, 08:01 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Confused...

Steam boiler ... Radiant zones ?

Not sure what you mean.

Which aquastat do you want to replace? the one on the water heater ?

Please clarify.

Old 12-28-08, 06:31 AM
C
yes steam boiler for the most part, original coil went bad and there was a "zone" for the basement apartment so I added a zone for the indirect water heater. The aquastat I want to replace is to maintain boiler temp. Is there a better way to control it for the summer months?

I was even considering eliminating the indirect water heater and going gas to completely shut down the boiler in the summer. The boiler is quite large...

Old 12-28-08, 08:08 AM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
OK, I think I understand ...

I believe that the aquastat you have on the boiler now is a 'triple aquastat' ... there are three dial on it, correct? HI, LO, DIFF ?

That was needed because you previously supplied domestic hot water from a tankless coil in the boiler, correct?

That is referred to as a 'warm start' boiler. The boiler had to maintain a temperature in order to supply the hot water.

An indirect does not require a warm start. It can use a cold start boiler set up. However, it sometimes happens that when an old boiler that has been warm all it's life is allowed to go cold, the iron shrinks and leaks appear between the sections.

What model aquastat is currently installed on the boiler?

Old 01-01-09, 07:47 PM
D
Boilers - Steam and Hot Water Systems Radiators & Baseboard Heating Systems.

I have a old house built in 1950 with steam heating system. After I came in 10 years ago I had some one ran hot water baseboard with copper pipes in the basement with a pump and thermostat just to run the pump to give heat in the basement. It is never giving enough heat to the basement as the water is hot only when the boiler produce steam for the main house. The plumber who did the work has gone away. Is there any clue for this. Appreciate if any ideas and suggestions. Thanks.

Old 01-01-09, 08:13 PM
C
Ok it is a basic honeywell 4006 that maintains the boiler a set temp "none" of the circulators/relays are setup on demand...

Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
OK, I think I understand ...

I believe that the aquastat you have on the boiler now is a 'triple aquastat' ... there are three dial on it, correct? HI, LO, DIFF ?

That was needed because you previously supplied domestic hot water from a tankless coil in the boiler, correct?

That is referred to as a 'warm start' boiler. The boiler had to maintain a temperature in order to supply the hot water.

An indirect does not require a warm start. It can use a cold start boiler set up. However, it sometimes happens that when an old boiler that has been warm all it's life is allowed to go cold, the iron shrinks and leaks appear between the sections.

What model aquastat is currently installed on the boiler?

Old 01-04-09, 06:28 PM
T
Angry help the furnace

why is it that the thrush flow when it is open sends hot water to all the pipes, but when it is in normal it only works half the pipes

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: