boiler guy tells me to take off chimney cover...true?

Old 01-03-09, 09:06 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
boiler guy tells me to take off chimney cover...true?

Been having lots of soot in the boiler room (oil-fired old previously ill-maintained weil-mcclain boiler), so they came to clean the boiler again. Last week got a new transformer, which may have been part of the problem. Additionally, boiler guy suggested to take off the cover on top of the chimney.
It looks like this:

http://************/view.php?pic=5u39zb&s=5
(the stars are blocking out "tinypic . com")
Should I try to pry back that cover, or is that not a good idea?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-09, 09:41 AM
O
For pictures try photobucket.com. The problem with tinypic is that your pictures are only held for a short period of time. Then over-written by someone elses pictures. A real screwy setup.

Al.

Old 01-03-09, 09:45 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Yeah, and something in my 'security settings' wouldn't let the 'scripts' at that site run... so couldn't see the pics.

So I can't see the pics... but generally when someone says "Take the cover off" my BS detector goes off... Manufacturers don't put stuff on equipment if it's not needed... pure economics...

Are you talking about the CAP on top of the chimney?

put the pics on photobucket and let us see.

Old 01-03-09, 10:29 AM
http://************/view.php?pic=5u39zb&s=5

test... I can see the photo by putting in the ************.

This site is blocking the link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-03-09, 10:37 AM
NJT
Off topic... but related.

Yeah, I did that... and that's when I got the security warning, when the site started to load.

I suspect that webmasters have blocked that site for a reason.

Norton seems to think it's safe.

Maybe the 'dirty word filter' on this site is misinterpreting the site name as a misspelling of something else?

[thanks Greg!]

Last edited by NJT; 01-03-09 at 10:47 AM. Reason: just saw Greg's response...
Old 01-03-09, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 36 Posts
tinypics, tinyurl and other referral links are all blocked on this site.
They are a major security risk to our members as someone clicking them has no way of knowing where they will wind up.

To link to a picture you need to post the address of the actual link or if your own pic upload it to a site like Photobucket and link to it.

Old 01-03-09, 12:48 PM
T
Sorry I took so long! I had a visitor.
Hoping this site is accepted:

Old 01-03-09, 02:03 PM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
That cap is not the problem. Ask them what the combustion test results are. How much combustion air do you have?
See link about combustion air.
Combustion_Air_Calculation

Old 01-03-09, 02:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Chimney cap

I agree. Nothing wrong with that cap at all. Wish a lot of my customers had them.

Old 01-03-09, 03:08 PM
T
Originally Posted by rbeck View Post
That cap is not the problem. Ask them what the combustion test results are. How much combustion air do you have?
See link about combustion air.
Combustion_Air_Calculation
okay so this is the problem. the boiler room has a vent behind the boiler which leads to the back of the house crawl space. unfortunately this particular space is small, full of junk and underground. So the 'vent' is not hooked up to outside air at all, and this is one thing on our list of things to do during renovation (coming up soon, hopefully).
so to make up for this, i keep the boiler room door all the way open, as well as the door to the crawl space open, so that the boiler can theoretically breathe air from the crawl space and ground floor. (house is about 16x45').
However, even with no good insulation, drafty windows and doors, etc, it seems the boiler is still choking.
It can run constantly and not seem to do much, and when it's very cold outside, like in the lower 20's, the boiler can't get the thermostat above 62.
I've insulated the mains as much as I can in the crawl space recently too. This means I got most everything in the boiler room, and most the line running to the front of the house, and part of the line running to the back.
I've checked all the radiator vents and they're fine. In order to get a radiator to work sometimes, I have to take the vent off and wait for the hot air to work it's way through it (this may take hours). Then that radiator may or may not heat up the next day, while another one which used to get hot would then stay cold. They seem to alternate, and I have yet to get each and every radiator hot all the way.
About a month ago, I set the pressure on the boiler to the minimum ala 'we got steam heat' advice, which seemed to help a lot.
edit: just wanted to add that I have a CO monitor on the ground floor, and it hasnt gone off yet, so I think I'm okay.

Old 01-04-09, 07:44 AM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
If the boiler is big enough and we will assume it is big enough it all comes down to steam production, dry steam, near boiler piping and air vents.
See this link for more info.
Steam FAQ
Have a contractor check the nozzle size and pump pressure per manufactuer spec. Some pictures may help.

Old 01-04-09, 08:18 AM
T
thanks for those links, rbeck, they are very informative and have given me some ideas. I took some pictures yesterday to compare the near boiler piping with the page they have do's and don't's -- it looks like there are a couple iffy hookups. I also realize I probably need to do more insulating -- above the boiler it's all bends and t's, and I haven't fiberglass to fit them yet.
interestingly, last night the house got very toasty with all radiators at least partially on. But the boiler was on constantly, it seemed, with no cycling off, trying to maintain thermostat temp.
Here are some pics:

Old 01-04-09, 11:00 AM
NJT
Maybe there's nothing wrong with the cap itself... but what's up with those pieces of unistrut and that nine wire lashing the chimney together? At least that's what it looks like from here... but my eyes ain't what they usetabe...

If that chimney is in the condition it appears to be, perhaps it wouldn't be bad advice to suggest a thorough inspection of the whole thing... hire someone to shove a camera down it's throat and take a look...

Old 01-05-09, 05:32 AM
T
I have to take a closer look at that, but for some reason I never thought that stuff was there for the chimney. Or maybe it was left there from before. Apparently the previous owner got a new chimney liner a couple years ago (also the roof was retarred). And the wires across the front are leading to an old satellite dish.