Hot Water Base Board Heat Question

Old 01-05-09, 08:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot Water Base Board Heat Question

I have lived in a 12 year old house for 6 years now. Hot water boiler heat system.

I have not done anything to the boiler-unit since we have lived here. (6 years) I do not think anything is wrong with the unit but just wondering if there are routine mantainence things that need to be done which may make it run better. Just wondering if my neglegance is casuing me unknown problems or extra money running a boiler.

Is there things I can do, clean etc. or should I call in a pro to look at it? What would a "routine" cleaning check up cost?

Old 01-05-09, 09:06 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
What boiler do you have?

What fuel are you burning?

Old 01-06-09, 05:45 AM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I get charged about 175 for a yearly service contract which includes a cleaning. I dont know how much each individually costs. I do know that even with my brand new boiler, the installer said it should be cleaned each year.

As an aside, i know someone that has a oil/coal/wood burner and never had a thing done to it in over 15 years. Smells a lot when fires up and who knows how bad that chimney may be clogged or what else may be going on. I think at least every few years a pro should come i and check things out, even if you dont have the money.

Old 01-06-09, 02:49 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
An oil fired boiler should be cleaned and serviced EVERY YEAR. In the spring after the heating season ends is probably the best time to do this. The CRUD that builds up inside the boiler is flakes of acidy stuff... the acid is inert as long as there is no water, but when summer rolls around and the humidity goes up, and the cool cast iron and chimney collects 'dew' from the air, now you have a corrosive brew. Have it done in the spring and that stuff won't be sitting there munching on your expensive boiler all summer long. Another plus to springtime service is that the techs are usually not as pressured for time, and _may_ spend a little more time...

Gas fired systems are a bit more 'forgiving' because in general they don't get as dirty as oil fired equipment... but a yearly 'checkup' is not bad advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: