New Thromastat with Automag control vaves

Old 01-06-09, 10:33 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing New Theromastat to be used with Automag control vaves

Hello,

I recently purchased a home that has an older Milwaukee Boiler with a two zone system with Automag control valves.

One of the thromostats was bad so I decided to replace both with six wire units. It is a three wire system, the replacement thermostats I purchased are 6 wire (just not using the cooling portion).

For the wire connections.... I have red connected to R White connected to Y and the Green wire (was connected to B on the old thermostat which does not exist on the new ones) connected to W.

The problem I am having now is only one level's valve appears to be all the way open. As "zone 1" tries to get to a temp "zone 2" continues to get heat and is almost 10 degrees warmer).

I notice on the valves that the white wire is connected between both valves and the relay board. The Red is going to zone 1's valve and green is going to zone 2's valve. Swapping these on the corresponding thermostats did not appear to make a difference.

I hope this makes sense. Any help would be appreciated. I have a link to the type of Automags I have..

http://www.automagzonevalve.net/basicwiring.pdf

Thanks!

Old 01-06-09, 11:40 AM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
You need the lower diagram and the CNV relay or a three wire thermostat. You have what is called a 2 wire thermostat and these valve require a 3 wire thermostat.

Old 01-06-09, 10:23 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Got the relays from a local heating and plumbing place this afternoon. They are working like a charm (and weren't terribly difficult to install).

I did find out there are two thermostats that Honeywell makes that will work out of the box (they are the more expensive ones of course). Models RTH7400D and RTH7500D.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: