oil boiler transformer failure -repeated

Old 01-10-09, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
oil boiler transformer failure -repeated

I have an older oil burner (Carlin) and boiler which I bought used 6 years ago. The transformer that was on the unit worked fine until last February. It failed an I replaced it with a new transformer sold to me by my local plumbing supply store as an appropriate replacement (a Dongan XD-CR205). That transformer failed after approximately four months of use (boiler not used over summer) and was replaced on 10-27-08. Today (1-10-09), the replacement transformer failed after just over two months of use. These things cost almost 50 bucks a pop and I'd like to know what could be causing these failures.

I've run oil burners for nearly 20 years and never had a transformer fail before.

psolbeny

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-09, 03:58 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
post deleted. xxxxxx xxxxxxx

Old 01-10-09, 04:10 PM
Do you have any excessive heat coming from the burner area? Check the overfire draft of the boiler with a draft gauge. If pressure firing, it could cause excessive heat relating to premature failure of the transformer.

Old 01-10-09, 05:04 PM
More help needed

Originally Posted by plumbingods View Post
Do you have any excessive heat coming from the burner area? Check the overfire draft of the boiler with a draft gauge. If pressure firing, it could cause excessive heat relating to premature failure of the transformer.
Could you give me more details, or more info in non-professional language? For example, where might I get a draft gauge? Or, should I now call in a pro?

Thanks!

Psolbeny

Old 01-10-09, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by psolbeny View Post
Could you give me more details, or more info in non-professional language? For example, where might I get a draft gauge? Or, should I now call in a pro?

Thanks!

Psolbeny
A draft gauge is not something you will find at the big box stores and are not too cheap. You will probably want to call in a technician on this one.
I guess another thing you can check yourself is to make sure the incoming voltage is at 120vac. If the voltage is spiking or lower than 80% of normal, it would also cause the transformer to act up or burn out.