significant water leak

Old 01-10-09, 11:44 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
significant water leak

I have a crown, gas fired boiler. My problem is the pressure relief valve drips alot of water when the boiler runs. Every once in a while the boiler sounds like it blows out air pressure from somewhere, possibly the relief valve, sometimes every couple of hours (sounds like the heater is going to blow up).
The heater is about five years old and has been doing this for a couple of years now. the pressure relief valve and backflow are 15-20 psi rated. the temp/pressure gauge reads the pressure goes up to about 30 psi when the heater runs. I replaced the relief valve and tried replacing the backflow and this did nothing to help the problem. I have no clue what to do at this point. I helped my father replace the heater. Is this somthing easy to fix or is this a problem. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks

Old 01-10-09, 12:42 PM
NJT
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Bob,

When the unit is COLD (less than 100°F) what is the pressure?

When HOT (180°F) what is the pressure?

What type of EXPANSION TANK is connected? The bladder type that looks like a propane tank from a gas grill and hangs on the piping, or the steel compression type that's larger and strapped to the joists above the boiler?

Look for and tell us if there is a valve in the line from the boiler leading to the expansion tank.

My guess is an issue with the expansion tank, that's what controls the pressure rise in the system as it heats up.

By the way, your RELIEF VALVE is probably not rated at 15-20... it's gonna be 30... Your PRESSURE REDUCING VALVE that's on the water inlet to the boiler is probably rated at 12-15 PSI...

As usual, I'm going to ask that you take pictures so that we can tell you best how to correct your problem. Set up a free account at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and upload the pics there, come back here and drop us a link to your album. Please include some wider angle shots so we can relate all the pictures...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: