Thermostatic baseboard bypass valve

Old 01-11-09, 08:28 AM
R
RK2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermostatic baseboard bypass valve

I'm looking to control individual baseboard output in a single loop, and stumbled on this product -- however, the manufacturer seems to be out of business. Is there anything comparable, or some alternative setup?

"Three-way valve is designed for new or retrofit fin-tube baseboard installations"

Thermostatic By-pass Valve permits zone control., EnerJee

Thanks
R

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-09, 01:56 PM
Who
I've looked around quite a bit and as far as I could ever tell they were the only ones with a 3 way TRV which allows a bypass when closed.... too bad eh?

Old 01-11-09, 02:48 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Not sure if EnerJee is out of business or not, but their web domain is surely dormant... did you try the telephone # ?

An alternative would/could be a 3 way zone valve.

Honeywell definitely makes them... I'm pretty sure others do as well, Google...

There are line voltage and low voltage models available. I would go with the low voltage. You would need a source of 120VAC to run the transformer (24VAC) which powers the valve. The zone valve itself could be mounted inside the baseboard cabinet just as the TRV in the pic you saw. Where to mount the transformer? Good question... then a thermostat on the wall...

If you used the line voltage valve, you wouldn't need the transformer, so maybe that and a line voltage t'stat would do the trick.

V4044A1191

Old 01-11-09, 04:52 PM
R
RK2
Didn't try calling yet. I assumed their demise from the dormant domain and not finding _any_ online store that carries them. But, you've got a point that I should try

The zone valve sounds like a good plan. Do these three-ways exist as manual mixing-type valves (couldn't easily find one online, but I assume they do)? My main concern is balancing the rooms, not necessarily thermostatically control each, so if I can just have a variable bypass ratio using a valve I should be all set.

Old 01-11-09, 05:21 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I've seen 'floating action' valves... but now yer talking big $$$ for the controls, etc...

These are just open/close, on/off...

and even if this valve opened, it wouldn't call the boiler and tell it to send heat. You would have to wait for the thermostat that controls that zone to call... then if this valve were open, it would allow flow through the baseboard, else divert it.

You can run this room COOLER, but you can't run it WARMER.

Old 01-11-09, 05:28 PM
R
RK2
Right - get the part about cooler. That's basically why I need only a way to 'balance' the three rooms. I'm just concerned that I'll size the baseboard to the room heat loss calcs and then end up with unbalanced heat because of other factors. Is there some other way to jury-rig (for example cover X out of Y feet over the fins) to reduce output for individual bboards?

Old 02-28-14, 06:37 AM
P
I also saw the link to the Enerjee 3 way bypass valve. Can't find a source for it. I have a guest bedroom at the end of loop (single pipe) hot water baseboard system. The room is always overheated, & I need a way to decrease the heat - could be a manual or thermostatic valve. My other option might be to wrap the radiator fins with aluminum foil ( saw this in another post somewhere), but this would not give me any variable control. A link to a similar valve would be very helpful, or other ideas. Thanks

Old 02-28-14, 10:10 AM
S
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
PS,
If overheating is your problem why not close the dampers on part of the baseboard to reduce heat output.
Another more permanent solution is to remove some fins. For every foot it's about 600 btu's of heat.
Of course once there gone you can't recover that heat you've lost.
Since baseboard heat works on air circulation, you could put something under part of the baseboard and stop the air from circulating and eliminating the heat output from that part.

Three ways just seems like an expensive way to go just to eliminate a little heat
Just my opinion

Good Luck,