Vacuum gage safety

Old 01-16-09, 11:53 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vacuum gage safety

I am considering adding a vacuum gage to my system to monitor oil filter life. Will these gages leak if the mechanism fails? The particular gage that I found is not oil filled.

Old 01-17-09, 06:07 AM
O
Yes they can leak. Best bet is to put a small ball valve between the gauge and the filter. Keep the valve closed and only open it to take a reading. Then close it again.

Al.

Old 01-17-09, 06:46 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Personally, I think the valve is overkill. Sure... anything can leak... any of the fittings, the filters, any of the plumbing pipes in your home, etc... would you valve them all?

Old 01-17-09, 07:01 AM
C
Thanks. I thought about a ball valve to activate the gage. The gage is not shock protected and if the Bourdon tube acquires a hairline crack from shock, I will have a mess. According to Murphy's Law, this would only happen when we are away for the weekend, or on vacation.

Old 01-17-09, 07:18 AM
O
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper
Personally, I think the valve is overkill. Sure... anything can leak... any of the fittings, the filters, any of the plumbing pipes in your home, etc... would you valve them all?
OSV? Only problem there is that after they sludge up they don't close. I have a Firomatic that was located between the filter and the oil pump (both at the burner) that was sludged up so bad it wouldn't close when the handle was removed. Filter was clean and so was the pump strainer.

The difference between a gauge and the other feed line parts is the questionable durability of the gauge itself. The bourdon tube is very thin and brittle. As CT3 posted it isn't unusual for them to crack. They also fail from internal corrosion of the tube. There is mechanical and hydraulic vibration from the burner motor and the positive displacement oil pump.

I am surprised that you compared the household plumbing to an oil feed line.

Al.

Old 01-17-09, 07:52 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Just my opinion is all...

I don't believe the suction line is subject to the vibration and shock that the discharge side is. If one were to install a gauge permanently on the pressure side I would definitely recommend valving it... vacuum side, well... IMHO, overkill.

If it develops a crack and leaks, the burner is gonna shut down from lack o' fuel, then how much is that crack gonna leak? drip................................drip..............................drip

Put a container under it if yer worried about that.

Vacation? yeah, OK... in that case, better kill all the power, shut off the water at the street, turn off the heat... I mean, there's so many other possibilities that are probably MORE likely to occur. So, go ahead and install a valve if you'll sleep better for it.

Old 01-17-09, 09:03 AM
C
I have a clean cut oil pump on my burner. I believe that when the valve opens there would be a jolt (immediate high suction @ oil valve open then another jolt @ close) on the gage tube. That would probably shock the tube. By the way, the wall of the Bourdon tube is probably only three to four thousandths of an inch thick.
Interesting subject!
Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: