insulating the attic worth it?

Old 01-17-09, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
insulating the attic worth it?

i have r13 in my attic celing joist now. it will cost me about 500 in R30 insulation should i insulate the attic? does it help alot?i figured someone has done this already and seen the results.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-09, 10:41 AM
Yes,do it now. Blow in is easy. You live in the North ?

Old 01-17-09, 10:46 AM
yes ny longisland. im gonna get get R30 unfaced and layer the attic with it.

Old 01-17-09, 11:00 AM
Also make sure all gaps around perimeter, pipes, vents, chimney, etc. are sealed to keep warm, humid air from below from escaping into attic space. In addition, to more insulation, make sure attic is adequately ventilated.

Old 01-17-09, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by tony45power View Post
i have r13 in my attic celing joist now. it will cost me about 500 in R30 insulation should i insulate the attic? does it help alot?i figured someone has done this already and seen the results.
I had an energy audit of the house. He found r11 over all the attic with the 'unfloored part' having r19 on top of that. He highly recommended taking apart the floor and putting r19 in the rest. But he wanted over 1000 to do it and i'm pretty sure with effort, i can do the pink stuff myself.

or may pay him to do the other..who knows

Old 01-17-09, 11:40 AM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Hi Tony, The example I use is, if you have a total of 15 windows and they are all open, your home will be very cold. Close five of them, and your home will still be very cold. Not until you close the last couple of windows will the results of closing the first ones be felt. The reason for the story is, the typical home has a lot of little air leaks that when added all up equal one or two open windows and one of them is usually air leaking into the attic. To make your efforts and the insulation work better, as twelvepole suggested, before you lay down all of that insulation, locate and seal all penetrations into the attic. Vent pipes, electrical boxes, wires, close areas around chimneys with sheet metal, soffit areas over kitchen cabinets (if one is there), and check any recessed lights to see if they are air sealed. Once everything is all sealed up, then you can install your insulation and leave it there AND it will work a lot better.

If the air sealing goes well, you can do the same from the basement, around the perimeter and any holes up through the floor.

Also, for the best fit, fill between the ceiling joists so they are flush to the top of those joists before you lay more insulation on top running the other way. That will generate the fewest gaps.

GL
Bud