Newer replacement for a Honeywell aquastat L8182D

Old 01-17-09, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Newer replacement for a Honeywell aquastat L8182D

Hello, i need to replace a honeywell aquastat L8182D on my father's Crown boiler. Is there a newer replacement model number from honeywell? Is the L8124 or L8148 suitable? Thank you in advance.
Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-09, 04:12 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
You mean an R8182D don't you?

You can't use either of the controls you cited as a direct replacement for the 8182. Yours is a COMBINATION control, Aquastat AND oil burner Primary control in one box.

To use either of the aquastats you mentioned, you would have to also mount a compatible PRIMARY CONTROL and do a bit of re-wiring to make it work.

What's wrong with the one that's installed that you are thinking about replacement?

The R8182D should still be available... expensive, but available.

Old 01-17-09, 06:27 PM
Yes, it is R8182D I mispelled. The boiler control function works fine but the thermostat control doesn't seem to be turning on the circulator. When the thermostat calls for heat the relays energize but there is no 110vac output to the circulator motor. The motor works fine as I'm able to apply 110v and circulate hot water thru the baseboards. I hooked up my voltmeter and read about .650 mv. I guess it's possible that the contacts may need to be cleaned. Any ideas? The replacement control is available for around $340..thought maybe I could find one less expensive on eBay.

Old 01-17-09, 07:23 PM
NJT
It sounds like the relay contacts are toasted all right...

You could try cleaning them... maybe there's a dead spider stuck between the contacts... but I bet if you take a close look you'll find the contacts fried.

This place is a _little_ cheaper than $340 ...

Patriot Supply

I've gotten some good deals on controls on ebay... and Patriot Supply has an ebay store as well, but I don't know if they've got your control in there or not...

If you do order from their brick and mortar store, look up what you want on the web and then call their 800 number to place your order. Their web ordering doesn't really confirm orders, although I've always gotten what I ordered. I like talking to a person and getting confirmation... they ship very fast.

Old 01-17-09, 07:41 PM
Hey thanks soo much for your help. I did find a refurb on eBay for $175, just a little sketchy. I need to find out more on the return policy in case it doesn't work. Doubt it has a warranty, but I'll find out. I may try to clean the contacts, they're a little hard to get to though.

Old 01-17-09, 07:44 PM
NJT
Matt, be REALLY careful buying refurbs and stuff... and CHECK THE SELLERS FEEDBACK!

Old 01-18-09, 07:16 AM
Hi again, do you know what the last 4 digits means on the R8182D model number? Example: R8182D 1079, R8182D 1111. I'm looking on the patriot website link and they show 4 different model numbers, 2 of which aren't available I guess. The metal cover on the control that I have just says R8182D. Just want to make sure I'm getting the right one.

Old 01-18-09, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by mattbellanger View Post
Hi again, do you know what the last 4 digits means on the R8182D model number? Example: R8182D 1079, R8182D 1111. I'm looking on the patriot website link and they show 4 different model numbers, 2 of which aren't available I guess. The metal cover on the control that I have just says R8182D. Just want to make sure I'm getting the right one.
They sometimes mean different available hi-lo temperature ranges. You might have to call or email them to be sure. I would also consider an upgrade to a newer 8124 or 8148 (cold start) with a separate primary control. That will give you interrupted ignition, saving some wear and tear. The primary control mounts right on the electrical box on the burner and then you only need the 2 burner power wires from the aquastat. Both units are plentiful on Ebay.

Then again:
Ebay R8182

Old 01-18-09, 09:51 AM
NJT
A mirror...

Use a mirror and look on the back of the control... also on the inside on each of the end tabs, you may find an ink printed number with the 'flavor' of your old control.

As OB said, different temp ranges, etc... usually most all of them will interchange... but it's wise to check. I'll check the Honeywell docs to see what the diff between the two you saw is...

That one on ebay looks like a great deal ... appears brandy new as they say... if you can get that for 9.99 DO IT! I would wait until the end of the auction to bid...

Check this recent thread for more info on replacing with separate aquastat / primary:

Recent thread with schematic

Old 01-18-09, 10:12 AM
NJT
This one's easy... they're identical EXCEPT:

the 1079 is VERTICAL MOUNT

the 1111 is HORIZONTAL MOUNT

Old 01-18-09, 05:59 PM
Auquastat Source

I've had to replace a number of Honeywell Auquastats over the years and did a lot of research for a reasonable price.

I purchased a new R8182D1079 Auquastat spare at Apex Controls (Apex Controls HVAC-Valves-Thermostats-Electric Motors-Pumps-Actuators-Controls - Search) for $252.50 - shipping included. But, I see their price is currently listed for 291.00.