magic heat flue pipe reclaimer

Old 01-17-09, 06:57 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
magic heat flue pipe reclaimer

I have ordered a Magic Heat Reclaimer. This is a unit that goes on your flue pipe and has a heat exchanger that blows heat into the room. I want to install this in the basement over my gas steam boiler to heat basement workshop.
I am looking for anyone with experience with this unit and its installation. A friend of mine has one and says it keeps his basement toasty.

Old 01-18-09, 09:08 AM
NJT
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Maybe so (toasty) ... but here's the danger in such devices.

That exhaust coming off your boiler has to be hot enough to prevent condensation of the flue gases in both the flue pipe and in the chimney.

If you allow those gases to get too cool, and they condense in the flue and chimney, and form an ACIDIC BREW that WILL EAT YOUR FLUE PIPE AND CHIMNEY, and if that brew runs down the flue into your boiler, it will EAT THAT TOO... so, be prepared for BIG repair bills to replace same in the future.

Additionally, if those gases are cooled enough, they will affect the DRAFT in the chimney and possibly the combustion in the boiler.

Use only with these risks in mind.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is. There is NO MAGIC!
If the heat were free, why would not the manufacturer of boilers use this type of device?

They DO... but they are called CONDENSING BOILERS and they are DESIGNED by REAL ENGINEERS to withstand the ACIDIC BREW that forms when condensation occurs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: