radiator with trapped air

Old 01-29-09, 09:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
radiator with trapped air

Right im afraid u will have to bear with me completely this is a different world to anything I know, basically when we moved into our new house the central heating used to at the aquired temperature within minutes literally. Recently there has been a decline in the time the radiators take to get hot. One radiator in particular in the upstairs bedroom has trapped air when I bleed it sometimes air comes out but never water, the radiator just stays the same cold at the top hot at the bottom. Onto the sytem the boiler is a Worchester Bosch 15/24SBi. The radiators are stelrad thats about all i know with specific questions i can assist you further,

Thanks for your time,

George

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-09, 09:34 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
What is the system's pressure and temperature? You should have a gauge on the boiler.

When the thermostat calls for heat, does the circulator run?
Doug

Old 01-29-09, 10:40 AM
system seems to be cleared there was no pressure on the boiler, below zero i placed the bayonet key as instructed and turned the grey nob anti clockwise until about 2.3psi, could have been like that up to 6 months all radiators in house boiling hot now. Is the pressure loss a cause for concern,

Thanks George

Old 01-29-09, 01:09 PM
The water feed regulator may have never been set up correctly. Someone could have filled the system with the speed fill lever and never adjusted the reg. Over the years, tiny leaks that turn to steam so you never see them, could eventually lower the pressure. Leaving the upper rads starved for water.
The guage should read 7lbs. for every 10 ft. of system height. So if you have 2 floors, set it for about 12lbs.Beer 4U2

Old 01-29-09, 03:49 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
While HVAC's pressure rule is fine, if you like math...

Use 0.433 PSI per FOOT of height, then ADD 4 PSI for 'headroom'. OR 12 PSI whichever is greater.

But, I'm guessing yer in the UK, so you might want that in METRIC?

Old 01-30-09, 08:01 AM
sorry to burst your bubble but its measured in BAR not Psi the scale is from 1 - 4 maximum is set at 2.5 the pressure has dropped again to 1.4

Old 01-30-09, 02:34 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Not burstin' MY bubble! YOU're the one who wrote 2.3 PSI!

Keep in mind that your pressure will increase when the boiler is heated, and decrease again when it is cooled... could be that, or you might just have a leak somewhere.