Wiring a Honeywell L6006C Reverse Action Aquastat

Old 02-02-09, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a Honeywell L6006C Reverse Action Aquastat

I'm looking for information on wiring a Honeywell L6006C aquastat for circulator fan control on a Sterling hydronic unit heater in my garage. The aquastat is mounted on the return line and has three terminals R W B. Line power to the aquastat is 120 volt via 14 AWG two conductor cable. The circulator fan has two wires, probably 16 or 18 gauge. I need to know where the line and load connections are made on the aquastat for this reverse action application. The thermostat is a 24 volt unit.

Thanks for your help and your excellent forum.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-09, 02:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
L6006c

Here is a link to Honeywell's installation instructions:
http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...0s/95-5973.pdf

Old 02-02-09, 03:51 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't call that a 'reverse' application... you will be using that aquastat to turn ON the fan with a temperature RISE. You won't use all three terminals, only the R and W, the B will not be connected.

What do you want the 24V thermostat to do? Fire the boiler? or control the fan?

If you want it to fire the boiler, you are possibly going to need some controls at the boiler to accept the signal...

If you want it to control the fan, you will need a relay box because you can not switch the 120VAC with that t'stat (obviously)...

So tell us a bit more about exactly what you are doing... is the unit heater a new installation to your system? If so, is it piped in to the system as a separate zone?

Old 02-02-09, 04:14 PM
Thank you Grady and Trooper for your replies. This installation is a direct replacement for an inoperable aquastat, which was disconnected but, unfortunately, the connections were not labeled. The unit heater loops off a zone that heats another part of the house (zone 3). The thermostat connects to a zone valve that controls the unit heater loop and zone 3. I am interested only in having the aquastat control the operation of the circulator fan on the unit heater.

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-02-09, 04:35 PM
NJT
OK, so the thermostat is already connected to a zone valve and all that is working properly I am assuming... the t'stat calls for heat, the zone valve opens, the boiler fires up and pumps the hot water... great...

Connect 120VAC HOT (BLACK WIRE) to the R terminal on the 6006.

Connect the W terminal on the 6006 to one of the fan wires. If they are color coded White and Black, choose the Black one. If they are both black, use either one.

Connect the 120VAC NEUTRAL (WHITE WIRE) to the other fan wire.

Adjust aquastat to desired setting... (140F is a good start).

That oughter do it.

Old 02-02-09, 04:42 PM
Thanks, NJ Trooper. I'm off to my garage to make the connections. You and the other moderators of this forum Rock!

Old 12-14-10, 12:13 PM
Help!! Plumber left me high and COLD

Hey guys I need a bit of help. I am installing a radiant heat system for a new bed & Bath. My plumber seems to be having some issues and refuses to finnish up what he started. I completed all the piping myself. All that is left is to finish up the electric. I have a Honeywell L6006C that he was going to use. Need to know how that works into the system. I can post a pic if that will help. Basically I have 4 zones, bed floor, bath floor, Heated towel bar, and aux room (not connected at this time). I have zone relays and aqua stat. it's all wired except the L6006C. Any ideas on how he would have tied that in?

Old 12-14-10, 03:31 PM
NJT
Hi Dred, garsh... I wish it was as easy as saying, yeah put this wire here and that wire there... but you know it ain't.

Yeah, let's start with pictures...

Tell us what boiler make/model, etc...