Target face missing on slant fin can I run it for emegency heat.Getting cold

Old 02-06-09, 05:42 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Target face missing on slant fin can I run it for emegency heat.Getting cold

Hello , I have a slant fin ,liberty oil hot water boiler that is about 23 years old and the fire box material in the back side that blocks the flame crumbled and feel apart. We are getting cold and no one has the fire box insert that goes in the back or in the frie door around the burner, This needs to be special ordered. Can I run the boiler with the flame material out of there? just dont want any frozen pipes over the week end. I have been told to just replace the boiler now or go with out heat. We are planning on changing to a gas hot water boiler and are waiting for a energy star program response, so I dont want to drop 600 into the repair if we can get by for a week or so. I was told if it is a wet bottom boiler it should be fine for a few days until I get the target face , but I am not sure this is a wet bottom boiler as the pin type water jackets are above the fire box. I am told no one has parts in stock and they would need to be ordered. Best bet to replace the boiler now. If we go this route we can have it done tonight but we would need to stay with a oil typs as no one could line the chiney and convert to gas for oil on an emergency night call. Once again , if I did this wrong or should not be posting help questions I can just go away. just feeling a little desperate 3 kids and cold. Thanks in advance for any help. John

Old 02-06-09, 05:52 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Check with Patriot Supply...

www.patriot-supply.com

Old 02-06-09, 05:58 PM
NJT
I don't know if this is the correct answer or not. But, in an emergency I would say that if the boiler seems to be firing OK, and burning clean you could run it... but you don't want to leave the crumbled stuff in the chamber... I find it hard to believe that nobody can use a piece of kaowool board to fashion a temporary target wall that would work until a proper replacement was located... I also can not believe a $600 bill for the replacement of a combustion chamber...

BEWARE if you remove the crumbled debris yourself... that material is classified as a CARCINOGEN... Take proper precautions if you decide to remove it yourself... NIOSH respirator, long sleeve clothing, spray mist with water to keep dust down, seal in plastic bag... etc etc ...

Old 02-06-09, 06:02 PM
J
Thanks I will try them tomorrow. I was just wondering if I can heat tonight with the target face out so we can have heat in the house. Most likely the wont have the ability to get me the target face until tuesday and thats a long time with out heat here in western ny. also dont want to burn through the back or damage the boiler beyond . Thanks for the fast response.

Old 02-06-09, 06:09 PM
J
Thanks again , I used respirator when dealing with the boiler cleaning and gloves and long sleeves . No one mentioned fabricating one at all, but only 2 calls made. $109 service call after hours +$50 must have cleaned $139 and punched $200 was told due to soot that built up from target face blocking airway $125 kit was told by both + labor. $600+ total Might just rush the new boiler install at these prices. Thanks again.

Old 02-06-09, 06:13 PM
NJT
Originally Posted by JCsChallenger
Thanks I will try them tomorrow. I was just wondering if I can heat tonight with the target face out so we can have heat in the house. Most likely the wont have the ability to get me the target face until tuesday and thats a long time with out heat here in western ny. also dont want to burn through the back or damage the boiler beyond . Thanks for the fast response.
John, you should be able to get one day service from Patriot, but unfortunately we're on the weekend now ... but for the heck of it, why not give them a call tomorrow AM and see if they are working Saturday? It's worth a shot, even if you have to pay extra shipping...

I can tell you though that if it was me, I would be running it... even sparingly ... in the same situation...

Old 02-06-09, 06:16 PM
J
Thanks so much I will be calling them in the am. The say open saturday til 12noon. Very nice of you for the help.

Old 02-06-09, 06:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Slant Fin

John,
Trooper asked me to take a look at your question about running the boiler without the target wall. In your situation, I too would operate without the target wall until I could get one (presumably a few days) & get it installed. Installation usually isn't difficult.

I think this is the kit you are looking for but check the listing against your model number.
Patriot Supply - 1087

Old 02-06-09, 08:41 PM
J
Thank you both. I just got done putting it back together. Cleaned it all out and punched/brushed the pin flues cleaned the nozzle (i know you dont clean you replace) but I checked it for any specs of dirt deposits. Fired up perfect as usual and just adjusted the air a bit. perfect color fire no smoke and great draft. All is well for now. I am getting the kit and that is the one I needed. I have the l-30-p . Great people here and I hope I can return some help in some of the fields I am strong in the future. Have a great night.

Old 02-07-09, 09:43 AM
J
Just called this morning and they will ship out first thing monday morning by ups ground one day sevice same state. Just running it as needed to keep the water temp up so it wont have to run very long catch back up later. Tuesday I will have the kit in and done. Thanks again.

Old 02-07-09, 03:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
New Chamber

Sounds like Patriot is living up to their reputation. Let us know how the install goes.

Old 02-11-09, 04:24 PM
J
Well getting ready to get the install going tonight. The chamber kit was delayed on delivery by ups not patriot. The part that gets me thinking is that the instructions dont suggest any adhesive or boiler putty behind the target face or around the edges. I would think that the target face could fall down if nothing to hold it in. They give two pieces of the Kaowool shims to use to wedge it in if needed, but thats it. It should just be a press fit and cure in 15 minutes of fire. The front burner mounting plate also has the peice with no sealant either , except around the groove on the inside of the oil burner mounting plate. I guess that should help, guess I will see how this press fit feels. I Let you know how it turned out. Thanks again to all as the weather got better and only needed to run the boiler sparingly over the last few days.

Old 02-11-09, 04:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Chamber

Usually target walls, front plate insulation, & chamber blankets are held in with a liberal coat of water glass but I have seen some that where just a press fit.

When installing work carefully as these components will break easily. You may have to sand a little off the edges to get it in.

Old 02-11-09, 04:37 PM
J
Once again thanks a million. Have my respirator , will check the fit and take the advice in hand. I dont feel like breaking this up so I will proceed with a block of wood and caution. I will let you now how it goes.

Old 02-11-09, 06:21 PM
J
Just got done and all went well. The target face is in and the job is done. The only thing I noticed when pulling it apart this time was a white apperance to the very small amount of residue in the firebox. I had previously tried to place the broken target face back in with 800 degree sealant that I was told in the home center should be fine. When the target face totally crumbled I just removed the debris , vacuumed with our hepa vac , but did not scrape off the sealant off the back of the firewall. I figure the white dusty residue is most likely the sealant just burned off as all the sealant is missing off the back of the firebox. I have a trained oil tech from a local Heating company on friday to put the gauges on and set every thing up correct . New nozzle , filter and a tune up much more reasonable than the other options were. Thanks again for all the help. Have a great night. John

Old 02-11-09, 06:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Congrats on a job well done

When the tech gets done, how about posting the combustion test data. Here, have a cold one on us. You've earned it. Beer 4U2

Old 02-11-09, 06:56 PM
J
Originally Posted by Grady
When the tech gets done, how about posting the combustion test data. Here, have a cold one on us. You've earned it. Beer 4U2
I will post the data if I am supplied with it. Should they give me this data or do I need to request it when they are done? Thanks for the cold one that hit the spot.Beer 4U2

Old 02-11-09, 07:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Test Data

They should supply it but if you have to ask, do so. The data should include: CO, CO2, draft, smoke number, fuel pump pressure, safety time, stack temperature, & combustion efficiency for starters.

Old 02-11-09, 07:28 PM
J
Will do. I figured they should give this , but I wasnt sure if they had to. I will ask ahead of time so they log the readings.Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: