pilot light will not shut off

Old 02-08-09, 12:50 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pilot light will not shut off

I own a Hytech model Ht-14NE wall hung gas water boiler. It is equipped with a White Rodgers type 5059-21 pilot relite gas valve. The pilot light stays burning all the time. Normal operation the pilot light goes out when the system shuts off. Maybe a thermostat problem? thermocouple/valve out of adjustment? Any suugestions would be helpful

Old 02-08-09, 01:17 PM
pilot issue

If you have a t-coule then you have a constant pilot...only spark and hot surface ignition are intermittent pilots systems .....how sure are you it is supposed to shut off??

Old 02-08-09, 01:20 PM
hytech

Just relized boiler type....i believe that system has a standing pilot with an ECO switch (ECO connects just under the female side of the thermocouple at the gas valve)

Old 02-08-09, 02:08 PM
F
when the system is working normal, the pilot light does not stay on. I just started to notice the pilot light staying on, the past week . When heat is called for, there is a good sounding spark and the pilot light is lite, then the burner comes on. Some times the system will cycle on and off. This is the first wall hung boiler I have delt with

Old 02-08-09, 02:12 PM
F
I should have added that I mean when the system shuts off, the pilot light shuts off too.

Old 02-15-09, 12:46 PM
F
just a follow up on my problem. My Hytech boiler has electronic ignition for the pilot light. I have a two zone system(honeywell) I have two thermostats in the hosue.The pilot will light fine when heat is called for, but it will not ignite the burner unless both thermostats are tuned up. The second problem is when the system shuts off, there is a loud sound from the pipes like they are shaking/rattling. any help with these problems is appreciated

Old 02-15-09, 05:13 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Bob, gas ain't my thing... but what you are describing sounds less like a problem with the boiler, and more like a problem with one or both of your zone valves. I sounds to me as though one of the valves has a bad 'endswitch' and isn't telling the boiler to fire up...

The sound when it shuts down could be 'water hammer', and could have a whole bunch of causes... has it always done this? or is this a new development?

Old 02-15-09, 07:13 PM
F
Thanks for the info. I will have to look into the zone valves, and try to isolate which one. Is there a rebuild kit for these or do you have to cut them out and replace the whole unit? The pipes have been making the sounds for months.

Old 02-15-09, 07:34 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You said they were Honeywell valves I believe? model #?

You probably can just change the powerhead, but don't go throwing parts at it just yet... be at least reasonably sure what the problem is first...

Turn each t'stat up and watch to see if the zone valve opens, and then note what happens when it does open. The switch inside should tell the boiler to fire... then, turn that one back down and see that it does the same thing... or not ... and let us know.

Next time yer at the boiler, make note of the pressure and temperature showing on the gauge... might help in diagnosing the water hammer (if that's what the sound is!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: