TPR relasing water

Old 02-09-09, 05:59 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post TPR relasing water

I have a New Yorker CG-40anc bolier (HYDRONIC system). My TPR safty valve leaks and now i hear steam in my heating pipes where I was hearing running water.
Would replacing the TPR solve my problem.
The TPR looks easy to replace, are there any things one can recommend to be careful when replacing the TPR safety valve.
Thanks in advance

Old 02-09-09, 07:25 AM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
What is the hot system pressure and temperature? If if gets up close to the relief valve's set point, the valve will leak. And replacing the valve won't help - there is another problem.

If there is steam in the system, that suggests something is haywire - in which case, the relief valve leakage may be what is saving your boiler from bad things.

If the pressure and temp are normal, then replacing the valve is pretty simple - provided you have a couple of pipe wrenches. You first must let the system cool, and drain the water below the relief valve elevation.
Doug

Old 02-09-09, 03:27 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
A couple points... it's not a TPR valve. TPR means TEMPERATURE AND PRESSURE RELIEF, and the valve on your boiler is ONLY a PRESSURE relief. There's no TEMPERATURE about it...

When a relief valve opens one must not assume that the relief valve is at fault. It MAY be... but the first thing one needs to look at as Doug says is the PRESSURE GAUGE. That valve is probably opening because the pressure went high enough to open it!

There are 3 basic reasons why the pressure would go high, but the main one is usually that the expansion tank needs service or replacement.

Old 02-11-09, 09:01 PM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi,
Just to clarify your point associating the high pressure with the need to replace the expansion tank - what if the high pressure is caused by high temperature. In my particular case the Honeywell Aquastat L8148E1158 is set to 180 but the temperature on the valve climbs to around 220 and occasionally triggers the PRV to expurge a mini steam geyser. I have a bucket in place.

The system is responsive to gas shut off and electrical shutoff will, of course, bring the temperature back down towards 180 at which point it can be restarted.

What is general diagnostic strategy to rule in/out the Aquastat?

Thanks,
Henry

Old 02-12-09, 03:49 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Henry, see my reply to your thread...

Old 02-12-09, 05:01 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper
Henry, see my reply to your thread...
There are now two threads with the same issue.
It's a bit confusing. Let's please abandon this thread in favor of the other one.
Doug

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: