Beckett Oil burner Air setting

Old 03-17-09, 08:44 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Beckett Oil burner Air setting

Hello Folks,

Just wanted some of your thoughts on this...

Have a Villant hot water furnace with a beckett oil burner.

When I moved into the house the air setting was on 2.5ish. When my uncle came cleaned out the boiler and did a combustion analysis (he is a HVAC teacher at the local tech school), he adjusted the air to like 4.5ish... He said you can't use the sightglass to 'look' at the flame, and it is better to use a combustion analyizer to determine the air setting.

By looking through the window it was not as bright as being on 2.5.. but thought.. no issues.. trust the tools.. and not try to eye ball it..

I noticed immediatly after when I was outside it smelled Rich? Like a bus was idling outside my house......

Like a month later I came home and had no heat. No issues, I pulled out the gun and it was all blacked up and gunked up. i cleaned it out, put on a new nozzle and put the air back at 2.5ish where the flame was a nice bright light.

It has been running for about 3 months now with no problems.. But I have a contract with a local oil company does the 'free' cleaning and tune up. So the guy came out.. had all the tools... stack temp, smoke test, CO2 and a bunch of fancy things.. and said.. the air was too low... and pumped it back up to 4.5 ish (exact spot my uncle had it).. I thought ok..

Now there are two guys with seperate tools both say the boiler runs more effeciently at 4.5.. again the flame was a dull at this setting.

Ok no wories... again stepped outside and it smelled like a bus again... week went by and now same thing happened, it gummed up.. and was puffing on/off. I cleaned up the gun, changed the nozzle and turned it back on.. it was still puffing.. I thought.. man.. let me just turn it back to 2.5 again.. it cleared up the puffing right away and the flame turned brighter.

Crazy huh... The tools say it needs more air to be more effecient, but when you pump up the air, it smells like a bus and the nozzle's fowl.

Just wanted some thoughts.... Have plans on getting a new more effecient boiler, but the way job/life is going.. I might have to milk out another season out of the girl.

Thanks for the help,
Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-09, 12:21 PM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
What is the complete model number of the boiler and I can supply the spec's.

Old 03-18-09, 01:24 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I would also like to know which Vaillant you've got, because I'm willing to bet that you've got some plugged flue passes... has anyone ever removed the top cover and the metal plates on top to clean out the passes?

I'm guessing it's gonna be an F70-W6 ...

Old 03-18-09, 03:26 PM
R
Thanks Folks, I really appreciate the help. It is a Vaillant F75-W-40 PP The Oil burner is a Beckett RWB.

It currently has a .60/70 DEG B Nozzle.

The pump pressure was checked and within spec, The draft was ok as well. I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head but both my uncle and the oil tech guy checked with a WC guage? It has the Tjernlund sideshot exhaust power venter. (no issues with it, just have to clean the fan out once in awhile, and cleanout the pressure saftey/approval swich out that checks for negative draft before allowing the burner to fire)...

As far as cleaning out the boiler....About a year ago my uncle helped me and showed me how to take the top off.. remove the metal caps and run a pipe cleaner looking thing through the machine. Also opened up the chamer door and used a vac to get out the soot as well as remove the flue pipe and vac out the exhaust side. But it has been some time so thank you for bringing this up.. I will take it off this weekend and run the brush through it.

Thanks for the help.... Called the uncle today and he laughed.. Said if it does not fowl out on the less air then just keep it on the 2.5 setting. He said he seen this before and I can try plaing different nozzle settings, but just said let it be.

Old 03-18-09, 03:45 PM
R
Oopse
Just looked Beckett RWG and the model number is
AFII

Thanks,
Rich

Old 03-18-09, 03:56 PM
R
Ahh.. after looking it up more.... it is a AF II 150

Thanks.

Old 03-18-09, 04:07 PM
NJT
Sounds like a pretty small nozzle... can you read the ratings on the ID plate on the boiler? Whatzit say on that plate?

I just checked something and that nozzle size may be correct.
still looking...

Old 03-18-09, 04:23 PM
NJT
Yes, 0.60/70B is what's spec'd for your burner...

HEAD TYPE AF2-6
STATIC PLATE STOP SCREW # 0
NOZZLE TYPE 0.60 X 70B
PUMP PRESS. 140

You said the pump pressure is 'in spec' ... the OLD spec of 100 PSI?

Old 03-18-09, 04:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Af-ii

The nozzle is the correct size, angle, & pattern per Beckett's OEM Spec. Guide. That burner should have a 6 slot head & a #0 firing pin (1 17/32" long. They didn't show the air setting but it's extremely rare to see a setting below 4.

Can you share the results of the combustion tests with us?
How long after the burner shuts off does the SideShot run?