noisy heat pipes

Old 04-05-09, 07:02 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
noisy heat pipes

I have a Biasi boiler that is 2 yrs old. I recently had a tech perform the annual service to the unit and have been hearing banging from the pipes after the burner runs, particularly at 4am but also at other times of the day. Prior to the service, we didn't hear any noises. This unit has been serviced before. I'm a boiler novice and would like to know the reason for the noises. I don't have access to the pipes from where the noise eminates.

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-05-09, 07:35 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If this is something that only happened immediately after it was serviced it would seem that the tech 'did something'.

You probably paid for the service, and the first thing to do is to call them back and explain the situation and ask that they come back and make it right. And don't pay again.

They'll most likely make up some excuse that something else is messed up and want you to pay... I'm not saying that something could not have happened, and it's just some weird coincidence, but use your best judgement when dealing with them.

Probably some air in the pipes or something...

Did you watch when they serviced it?
Do you know everything the tech did and touched?

Old 04-05-09, 08:36 AM
W
Thanks for your response and it is what I assumed. I was there when the tech was working on the boiler and he explained most of what he was doing. I will call the company tomorrow. I've also noticed the water temp on the boiler is very high, sometimes above 210 degrees. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal. The company seems pretty responsible so I'm hopeful they will rectify the problem.

Thanks again.

Old 04-05-09, 09:11 AM
NJT
Originally Posted by wolveaw
noticed the water temp on the boiler is very high, sometimes above 210 degrees. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal.
I'm pretty sure you are correct, but sometimes if the heat call is satisfied when the boiler is approaching the 'high limit' setting of the boiler, the temperature could spike up higher. This is because of 'heat soak', where the heat trapped in the cast iron is transferred to the water in the boiler after the circulating pump turns off.

On your boiler, there is probably a gray box, about 4x6". This is your 'aquastat', and it is what controls the water temperature. There is one screw that can be loosened and the cover slides straight off. Inside there will be one or more temperature dials. You can take a look at those and tell us what they are set to if you want... TURN THE EMERGENCY SWITCH OFF before removing that cover, 120VAC present!

Old 04-05-09, 04:39 PM
W
I remember he reset the aquastat to a higher temp than previously set. It is now set at about 187.

Old 04-05-09, 04:57 PM
NJT
Do you recall what it was set to before he raised it?

Why did he raise it?

Old 04-06-09, 02:03 PM
W
It was previously set to about 175. It was making a noise when it fired, like it was under a load. I called the retailer who stated the aquastat should have been set higher among other things. When the tech came out, he concurred with the retailer and reset the aquastat.

The tech came out today and stated that the pipes are rubbing and that is the cause of the noise. He said sometimes the gasket that is used to keep the noise down deteriorates and that could have happened. He loosened some of the brackets on the exposed pipes in the basement in an attempt to alleviate some of the movement throughout the house. If he is correct, his solution seems pretty futile at this point in time. Needless to say, I am a little frustrated because this house is less than 2 years old. It seems odd to me that this happened after the first visit by this tech.

Old 04-06-09, 04:48 PM
NJT
Ya know, 175, 185... no big difference there... I wouldn't expect that you would even notice the change. And that little difference shouldn't have made it 'sound' any different either...

He said sometimes the gasket that is used to keep the noise down deteriorates and that could have happened.
This statement made my BS detector go off.

Dunno what to tellya...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: