how to lubricate Red Baron pump

Old 04-05-09, 03:48 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to lubricate Red Baron pump

Hi all. I have a Taco Red Baron circulator which is part of a solar heating/AC system. It has been running for years without problems but now it is starting to give off a high pitch whine while running. It's not very loud but I am thinking it may be telling me that it needs lubrication. There is an "oil" sign and a hole on the pump head, but I am not sure if that means I am supposed to put a few drops of oil there? What type of oil? Is there a plug that I pull out first? I have scoured the Internet but was unable to find an answer, so I figured I would come to the experts. Thanks for any help with this.

Old 04-05-09, 05:26 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Here's the instruction sheet for your pump...
doesn't tellya much though.

Horizontal Circulators Nos. 110 thru 120

30 weight non-detergent oil.

A couple few drops in each oil port annually... don't over oil!

Old 01-06-13, 06:06 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey Guys,

I just noticed the same whine coming form my Red Baron 110. I'm going to put a little oil in the oil port. Just a couple drops? It only needs a tiny bit?

Old 01-07-13, 07:28 AM
G
Received 20 Votes on 20 Posts
Best to use electric motor oil, available at hardware stores. Don't just use regular 3 in 1 machine oil.

Old 01-07-13, 03:06 PM
G
Received 20 Votes on 20 Posts
P.S. I suspect that the pump/motor uses sintered bronze sleeve bearings which are semi-porous, allowing oil to seep through to the shafts. Detergent oil can plug up the bronze sleeves.

I said don't use regular 3-in-1 fine machine oil. But 3-in-1 also makes electric motor oil, which is fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: