Pilot problem with Weil-Mclain boiler

Old 04-27-09, 05:58 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pilot problem with Weil-Mclain boiler

Hi guys,
I hope some one on this board can give me a little guidance. I have an intermittant problem where my standing pilot goes out every now and again. I cleaned the pilot (was already clean) and I replaced the thermocouple already. I also checked the pilot size with the boiler running and it doesn't seem to change from when the boiler is not running. After comparing to my brothers boiler (same model) I came to the conclusion that the pilot may be a little low and possibly blowing out. The gas valve is a Honeywell VR8300C4050 according to Weil-Mclain specs. I attempted to turn up the pilot as shown in the instructions and the screw does not seem to have any affect on the pilot, even if I turned it 2 or 3 times. From past experience on stoves etc. a quarter of a turn is usually enough to make a difference. At this point I'm guessing that I need a new gas valve. Is there any other possibilities that I overlooked? If I replace the gas valve, does it have to be adjusted to my boiler, or is it factory preset to work fine? Thanks in advance for any help.
Chris

Old 04-27-09, 08:30 PM
U
I have an update..... I forgot to mention that when I first got the boiler (in new house) I replaced the thermocouple after about 1 1/2 years for an intermittant problem where the pilot would fail. After replacing it, I had a failure the other day for the first time, the thermocouple is about 1 1/2 years old again. Well I tried adjusting the flame again, and apparently the pilot screw was so wide open from the factory that it sounded like a blow torch. It took about 3 turns closed for it to do anything. Once I closed it the flame seemed the same height but quiet. I now have a theory on the failures that I have been having. Either the pilot was so strong that it was not a stable flame and would blow out easier, or (the theory that I think is correct) the flame was so strong that it over heated and kept ruining the thermocouples every year or so. Based on my findings I think that the gas valve is fine. What do you guys think?

Old 04-28-09, 02:36 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Anything is possible I guess...

one other consideration to keep in mind: Downdrafts in the chimney. Can you correlate the pilot being out with windy conditions?

Old 04-28-09, 03:15 PM
U
NJ Trooper,
Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's associated with wind. I have been through some extremely heavy winds with no problems, it was pretty nice weather when this last episode occurred. I forgot to mention that I am in a new development, the houses around me have the same boiler and the same chimney system. I asked around and none of my neighbors had a problem in the past 3 years since we all moved in. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I fixed it. So far it's good.....but it's only been 1 day LOL. Thanks again,
Chris

Old 04-28-09, 03:48 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Chris, I'm guessing that you've got the paperwork for your valve, but if not, this might be helpful...

VR8300 Gas Control

I wonder if the installers ever bothered to check/adjust the regulator... I wouldn't recommend that you try this yourself, without the proper gauges it's difficult (and maybe dangerous)... but just a thought... especially with the pilot flame adjustment being all the way out.

Old 04-28-09, 03:55 PM
U
Thanks!!
It should be fine now.....keeping my fingers crossed!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: