New boiler fitted - dripping overflow pipe

Old 05-30-09, 09:06 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New boiler fitted - dripping overflow pipe

Hello,

I've recently had a new condensing boiler fitted in my house (10 days ago) and all seemed well until I noticed that since the boiler has been fitted one of my overflow pipes has been dripping.

The boiler has been fitted on the left hand side of the house and a waste pipe going into the ground was installed with it which is where I thought all the excess water would go (they told me it would be a small jug-full every day).

However, on the right hand side of the house there are 3 overflow pipes which have always been there, none of which have ever dripped before, and now one of them is constantly dripping. Does anyone know the cause of this?

My old boiler was very old (25 years +) so I'm not sure if this is normal with the new modern boilers (seeing as I've never had a new modern one before). Or is this common in new boilers after installation?

My concern is what happens when winter comes if this overflow pipe is still dripping and the pipe freezes due to the weather. At the moment my heating isn't on at all and the hot water is barely on for an hour a day, so why the constant dripping when the boiler is barely used at the moment?

I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me before I feel like I need to call back the guys who fitted the boiler.

Regards,

Marina Vitromanovic

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-09, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
Dripping Pipe

Since this boiler was installed by others, I strongly suggest you call them back.

Old 05-31-09, 06:12 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Are you sure it isn't the condensate that is dripping??
Condensing boilers are supposed to do that.

Old 05-31-09, 06:38 AM
M
My condensate soakaway goes directly into the ground. The overflow pipe that is (still) dripping is nowhere near the boiler and has never dripped before (and my previous boiler was also a condensing boiler).

There are three overflow pipes together, none of which have ever dripped before. Do you think it's possible they damaged or changed something in the cold water tank which has caused this? The ground below the overflow pipe is absolutely saturated and this can't be normal. I know they were up in the attic when they were doing the work but I've no idea if they had to do something to the cold water tank.

I think I'm going to have to phone them tomorrow to get them round to look at this. I just don't want to look like a stupid woman who doesn't know anything about DIY

Marina Vitromanovic

Old 05-31-09, 10:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
Overflow Pipe

Don't do anything to the boiler. To do so could give the installer grounds for saying "you messed it up by working on it" & not honoring any warranty.

Old 05-31-09, 10:25 AM
M
Oh I definately won't be doing anything to the boiler

I just want this bl**dy dripping to stop.

Marina Vitromanovic