Amtrol Bolermate pressure testing & verification

Old 07-12-09, 07:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Amtrol Bolermate pressure testing & verification

Hi,

Today I obtained a used Amtrol Boilermate WH-7L indirect water heater and I'd like to verify it's OK.

I filled it with water, capped it all off, and in the end I put in 97.25 PSI with my compressor. All this was on the DHW in/out lines - the coil side is open to the atmosphere.

As the day went on, I see the pressure went to 98PSI, and after dark, it's at 96 PSI. I'll check again tomorrow, but I'd expect some minor changes in PSI as the tank temp's rise/fall. (The tank is sitting in my driveway, so it get various amounts of of sun over the day) I don't see any water leaking out at all...

Anything else I should look for on a this unit to verify it's OK to use? I am debating a new coil just to be sure I'm starting with a scale-free unit.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-09, 08:29 PM
Well, after a day, the pressure did drop a bit - ended at 92 PSI. But, I see a few leaks around my pressure gauge - the tank itself was dry...

I removed the coil and it is clean - has a copper patina look, but no scale at all.

So, I think this heater is good to go.

Only problem now is that I do not have the male thread in connector for the DHW supply. This is an older tank - built in Jan '92, so it's the older style connector according to Amtrol.

Of anyone knows what this connector is, and where to get one, could you let me know?

Thanks,
Anthony

Old 07-14-09, 04:01 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I guess it wouldn't take much of a leak to drop 5 PSI...

Can't Amtrol help with the connector? I should think you may be able to buy from them?

Old 07-14-09, 06:13 PM
Called Amtrol again and ordered the 2700-635 "Outlet T-Package" which we hope will fit. They switched over to the newer connection style in '90 (about) and the heater was built in '91, so it's a maybe.

Find out tomorrow when the part get here....

Old 07-14-09, 06:47 PM
Received 18 Votes on 15 Posts
I'd like to know where you got a pressure gauge that you can read to one-quarter psi and if you have a certificate of accuracy for this gauge.

Otherwise, I think you are okay and the pressure excursions that you observed are definitely within the realm of normal due to fairly minor changes in temperature, providing you got the majority of the air out when you filled the tank.

Old 07-15-09, 04:18 AM
Yeah - readings that close are guessy at best - I just wanted to read where the needle was on the gauge most accurately. This is a normal $5 pressure gauge from the hardware store in the end.

I filled the tank with water till it squirted out the top and then capped it off. Then put air in for about 10 seconds before hitting ~100 PSI, so not much air volume in the tank I'd guess.

Old 07-15-09, 01:46 PM
Got the union nut part - it fits. Yea.

Onwards to install!