help, rusty pipe blues

Old 07-29-09, 07:21 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
help, rusty pipe blues

hi,

can anyone suggest an order of operations to get this boiler working again? i.e. get the pipes that need to come off and then get new ones connected properly.

I have removed the rusted 3 inch pipe that's between the elbows since the picture was taken.

see photo

thanks

Old 07-30-09, 02:56 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Not sure what you're asking here?

Generally, you need some big-a55 wrenches, big-a55 muscles, and a few choice curse words. (well... maybe a whole bunch of 'em)

Can you elaborate a bit about what you want to know?

Old 07-30-09, 03:39 PM
T
Judging from the picture, it needs a good cleaning.
I see what looks like soot coming from the jacket, and thats bad.

If there is soot then there is CO. And we all know what CO is and what bad things it does right.

Steam is not my specialty, but I can try to answer what questions you have.

Old 07-30-09, 04:49 PM
S
well the rusted pipe was leaking and as i mentioned i removed it. now i need to put a new one in. do i hack off just below the union or try to fit a union in where i took out the pipe or just below the T connector?

i have an 18" pipe wrench and am capable of giving it a good tug and can supplement with muttered curses.

yes it also does look as if it needs a good cleaning.

thanks

Old 08-01-09, 05:31 AM
M
you probably don't have enough room for a union as a direct replacement for the pipe.
a union under the tee seems like the best option.
howid you get the rusted nipple out?

Old 08-01-09, 06:54 AM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
If you can get the nipple out of the tee that goes to the hartford loop, you can probably fit a union in place of that coupler just below the tee...

Old 08-04-09, 06:44 AM
S
initially i sprayed some lubricant on the the threads, left it for a few days and then i took a hacksaw to the rusted pipe and cut it in half. it was pretty rusted on one side and i hammered it about. once i cracked them and got a couple turns on them i gave it a few more hammer blows then took a big pair of pliers and finished getting them out. if the pipe hadn't been so corroded i may have had to cut it twice to create the space needed to turn them out with more ease.

ok will try and remove the vertical piping below the T and fit a union in there. seems like the best thing to try first.

should i remove all pipes below the T or leave that small one just below the T and above the coupler? i guess it depends on its condition and if i can get the union onto it, if not it needs to go.

Old 08-06-09, 01:32 PM
M
pipes are cheap, and it will be less effort to put in new ones than mess with the old ones

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: