Aquastat problem?

Old 08-10-09, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aquastat problem?

I have a Honeywell L8148A aquastat installed on my boiler. I stopped getting hot water and when I checked, the boiler was up to temp but nothing moving to the hot water storage tank. I was getting no power to the circulator and when I jumpered it, the circulator worked fine, the boiler started cycling and the water temp came up. My question is, does it sound like it is deffinately the aquastat ($150) or could it be a different issue?
Thanks for any help. This is my first post, but I have read many helpful replies in this thread.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-09, 12:52 PM
Check the storage tank (indirect?) for an aquastat. That would/should control the circulator between the boiler and it. In any case there needs to be a temperature sensor on the tank to let the circulator know that it needs to be heated.

Then the aquastat on the boiler would take care of firing the burner and handling the boiler temperature.

Al.

Old 08-10-09, 01:35 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
By 'storage tank' I'm assuming that you mean an 'indirect water heater' ?

Is there but one circulator on your system, and do you have 'zone valves' controlling the water to the heating zones, and to the water heater?

Old 08-10-09, 01:37 PM
Thanks Al. I didn't know about another aquastat on the storage tank (yes, indirect.) I'll check that out when I get home. I think it is calling for heat because the zone valve to the tank opens, but the circulator doesn't kick in.

Old 08-10-09, 01:39 PM
Yes, that's correct, Trooper.

Old 08-10-09, 05:04 PM
So I got home and tried turning on the heat (briefly, since it's 90 deg. outside and no central air!) and no circulator action. So I'm back to hot wiring the circulator, letting the boiler cycle and heating the hot water. Still seems like it could be the aquastat not powering the circulator. I don't see anything like an aquastat on the hot water tank.

Old 08-10-09, 07:32 PM
Turning on the heat is, or should be, separate from the indirect requesting heat. So it shouldn't produce hot water, only a hotter house.

Since there doesn't seem to be an aquastat on the storage tank. Pictures are required.

Take some pictures and post them on a picture site. Then provide the link here for everyone to look at.

Al.

Old 08-12-09, 04:42 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Yeah, sounds like some confushement going on ...

If you have one circ, and zone valves, and the zone valve for the tank is opening, and the burner is firing, but the circulator is not running, and the circulator does not run with a heat call either, then it would seem that the aquastat is the culprit.

On the 8148A, when there is a contact closure on the T T terminals, the relay will pull in and power the burner, and the circulator (which is wired to the C1 and C2 terminals). That contact closure comes from the ENDSWITCH of the zone valves. If the relay pulls in, and the burner fires, but still no circulator action, it means that the endswitch of the zone valve is OK, and that probably means that the relay contacts in the 8148 are fried, or there is a bad solder connection on the circuit board.

It sounds like you know which zone valve goes to the indirect... there should be some wiring leading back to the indirect... follow those wires and you will find the aquastat on the indirect. It probably won't be a big ole thang like the 8148, but it's gotta be there.

Old 08-31-09, 07:32 AM
Daugello

just asking what are the aqua stat settings on the boiler?? Did you lower the high limit ??
Asm660