Boiler repair--is this reasonable?

Old 08-12-09, 07:23 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Boiler repair--is this reasonable?

6 yrs ago I bought a Utica boiler together with a Bradford White Indirect water heater. The boiler quit this summer, and I was floored when I got the plumber's bill. Before talking with the plumber about it, I wanted to get some feedback from the knowledgable folks here. The plumber replaced an air vent ($52), circulating pump ($64), venter ($118), and $154 of vent pipe, which he said was leaking. He also brought in an electrician ($187) and added a 10% surcharge for the parts and electrician. He then billed 10.5 hrs of his time at $98/hr. The bill totaled $1681. I wasn't there when he did the work, but my wife says that he spent a lot of time in his van, on the phone with Utica, etc. I don't mind paying his rate, but at $98/hr. should he need 10.5 hrs. to do the work that was done? At that rate, I really hate to pay for much head-scratch time. And, for this type of work, should he need to bring in an electrician? Thanks for your help.

Old 08-12-09, 09:35 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi ed, I'm not a boiler guy, just a consumer like you and I would be very disappointed in getting that bill on a 6 year old system. I would definitely talk to the owner of the company to get an explanation on each detail of the job. Was this the same company that installed the system, as some of what you listed sounds like re-doing the original job.

GL
Bud

Old 08-22-09, 04:07 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eddasaga
6 yrs ago I bought a Utica boiler together with a Bradford White Indirect water heater. The boiler quit this summer, and I was floored when I got the plumber's bill. Before talking with the plumber about it, I wanted to get some feedback from the knowledgable folks here. The plumber replaced an air vent ($52), circulating pump ($64), venter ($118), and $154 of vent pipe, which he said was leaking. He also brought in an electrician ($187) and added a 10% surcharge for the parts and electrician. He then billed 10.5 hrs of his time at $98/hr. The bill totaled $1681. I wasn't there when he did the work, but my wife says that he spent a lot of time in his van, on the phone with Utica, etc. I don't mind paying his rate, but at $98/hr. should he need 10.5 hrs. to do the work that was done? At that rate, I really hate to pay for much head-scratch time. And, for this type of work, should he need to bring in an electrician? Thanks for your help.
Ed,
Can you scan and email me a copy of the bill. Feel free to black out your personal information, and I will review it and give my professional opinion. But, from what you mentioned above, I think its way out of line with the work done. I don't understand what he needed an electrician for. I have installed many of the types of systems such as yours and serviced a lot more and never have I or any of my guys had to call in an outside electrician on a service issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: