boiler help

Old 08-26-09, 09:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
boiler help

I hope someone can help I am installing a replacement hotwater boiler in my mothers home. It has both radiators and baseboard heat. the baseboard is run off on run of radiators.

1. do I need to run that all the way back to the boiler and install a zone valve?
there is a circulating pump in that line now.
2. there is a circulating pump on the out and return lines of the radiator loop can I eliminate on of them.
3. one of these pumps says to mount horizontally but is mounted vertically what should I do?

thank you for any help you might give me as winter is coming soon.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-09, 03:58 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sound like easy questions... but...

what sounds 'easy' at first is often much more complicated.

Without being there to see the entire installation, it's very difficult to answer questions such as these. You are in a sense, looking for advice on re-designing the system, and that is almost impossible to do without seeing it.

Speaking generally, most systems only have one circulator. If there are multiple thermostats (zones) then there would be zone valves already installed.

If there are multiple circulators, that could indicate that the system is still 'zoned', but in a different way than with one pump and electric zone valves.

Maybe you can give more specific descriptions? Pictures might also help ...

Old 08-26-09, 04:49 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You said that you're replacing the boiler. I would do that first before tearing into the rest of the system.

I fear that you are liable for some problems no matter what you do.

What was wrong with your mother's setup, and what problem are you hoping to solve?
Doug

Old 08-28-09, 09:46 AM
Doug thanks for the input. the boiler was an old Sears so I was hoping to update and save some energy cost it had started to act funny not coming on at times then running too long other times. Dad insisted it needed replacing so for Mom's peace of mind I started the job and as I am not working at the present I hope to be able to save her a couple thousand dollars.
I have found out some of the answers on the net so I do have to change some things to make them work better. one of the hardest parts was finding a 1 1/4 in zone valve. but I found one online. there have been a couple different people who have worked on the system over the years and none of them professionals in my book. when they put the new addition on they ran the baseboard loop diredtly off the radiator loop. which I found out is a big no no because of the different flow rates. but I think I have that all figured out. wiring might be a challenge but I do have an electrician friend who might be able to help with that now that I have all the zone valves. again thank you

Old 08-28-09, 09:51 AM
pictures would be difficult because of the location of everthing much congestion. there are no zone valves installed. and they ran baseboard loop off radiator loop. I think I have it figured out and can fix with little changes. thanks for the input